Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2023 10:12 am  #11

Re: True Wind Angle, Speed & Direction not Displaying

Antipodes wrote:

With an H5000 connected to Exp v11.18.4 thru websocket (NMEA2000) or wifi Zeus (NMEA0183), if i do not tick the TWA & TWS and TWD boxes, i get no true wind information displayed.When i tick the boxes,then i get the EXP calculated true wind, but these are slightly different to the B&G calculated (and calibrated true wind). I was of the understanding that the B&G true wind values should be dislayed and used in EXP if the calculation boxes are left unticked. I get nothing. Any help appreciated.

So --- websocket isn't NMEA2000... it's web socket... Are you using the Ethernet port on the H5000 or a NMEA2000 to USB or network converter?

Thre thing I would check is that you have the right incoming sentances enabled so that you can receive TWA...TWD.

Unless you have changed something on the B&G it should be providing true wind info either on the websocket.

3/18/2023 4:51 pm  #12

H5000 is connected direct to the computer with an ethernet cable. I can see TW data on the H5000 websocket page, so presume its coming out of the H5000. Im not sure where to enable the relevant incoming sentences in EXP for websocket. For NMEA0183 over the Zeus wifi, I have enabled all the sentences in the instrument tab.

3/18/2023 7:23 pm  #13

There seems to be some confusion here.

If you are using the websocket connection, then NMEA 2000 and 0183 aren't relevant - unless you have another connection for GPS, AIS etc data.

What does the TW data look like on the raw data window?

3/25/2023 7:53 pm  #14

Nick kindly took a look at the websocket data from the H5000 and noted that the TWD was in degrees true. (although I have magnetic selected)  I changed the heading source from the P9 compass to the ZG100 and that resolved the issue.
Will try to establish what is going on with the P9.

9/05/2023 2:16 pm  #15

I’m running into the same issue with Expedition not displaying TWS/TWD from the H5000. Expedition is connected via the websocket to the processor. I switched from the P9 compass to the ZG100 as a source on the H5000, with no luck. I can also confirm that the boat instruments (Triton 2) are displaying TWS/TWD as computer by the H5000, and the H5000 web terminal is also plotting TWS/TWD. Any other places to look?

Last edited by samc99us (9/05/2023 2:17 pm)

9/05/2023 2:21 pm  #16

Yes, you should get that data from the H5000.

Do you have position in Exp and the H5000? The H5000 sends TWD in degrees true and Exp has to convert it to magnetic.

There is a H5000_config.xml that Exp uses for configuration. Have you edited this?

You could email a sample of data form the raw data window.

9/06/2023 6:44 am  #17

Nick, thank you for the quick reply.

I was receiving position data in both Exp and on the H5000. I think the issue may have been the initialization of the H5000; once we spun the paddlewheel and had BSP into the H5000, TWS/TWD was output on the Websocket to Expedition. This was maintained, even when BSP went to zero. 

It's also possible there was some network trickery going on...at the moment, we are still using an Actisense N2K to USB converter to get AIS data into Expedition. That has the possibility of stamping on the Websocket data with additional fields coming off the N2K bus I would imagine...will keep playing with it.

Board footera