Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2022 5:27 am  #1

Optimise calculs are slow

Hi

I have a computer with
- Intel i5 with 4 cores (8265U)
- 16 Go ram
- 512 Go SSD

It's works with good performance. no lags problem with the display with CMAP 4D. Only Expedition run on the PC

but the routing optimizations is quite long. And when I look at the performance panel, use only part of the memory is used (less than half), no usage of SSD Disk, and only 30% of the CPU is used.
It's look like only 1 CPU is used for optimise calculation, the remaining CPU usage is system and perhaps Expedition other activities (logging, AIS, ....).

Is there a way that Expedition calculation use more CPUs - memory - ... for faster calculations?

Philippe

9/15/2022 11:59 am  #2

Re: Optimise calculs are slow

Yes, the routing currently uses a single thread for routing. This will change at some point as people often have more cores available now.

All other things are performed in multiple other threads and historically we didn't want to impact them.

Options:
1. Normally select Medium resolution instead of high. It is much faster.
2. Select avoid land and not Avoid land high resolution. 

9/15/2022 10:54 pm  #3

Indeed, new computer with a reasonable configuration (not gaming one, just enough memory and mid range processors) will support multi thread routing and the rest of expedition, as long as it’s dedicated to navigation.
my configuration is a 650€ fanless unit bought one year ago.

I’ve already tested for resolution. I will try the avoid land option.

1/09/2023 12:59 pm  #4

Hello and Happy new year.

With the Version 11.80 and the multi-thread, the calculation is now very fast. thank you

1/09/2023 1:28 pm  #5

Thanks.

Currently each routing has it own thread. I might look at using multiple threads for single routings in the future, but it might not be trivial.

There are some improvements coming to the new multiple thread routing.

Board footera