ExpeditionExpedition Navigation Software


Click Here for Expedition Assistant - AI Chatbot

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2022 8:11 am  #1


Modern computer and B&G H3000

Hi,

I'm looking at updating the computer in a boat with a H3000 Hercules Performance system.

Any computer worth upgrading to is 64 bit.
The current laptop is connected via USB/H-link, but as far as I know, no 64 bit driver exists...

So the only feasable way (except upgrading to a H5000, but then I will probably run into problems with the sensors?) seems to be connecting via RS-232...

a) Will I miss out on some functionality using serial vs USB?
b) What is the spec on the cable? As I understand it B&G do not supply it anymore. Does anyone have tips on suppliers/models, or pinouts?
c) Will any USB->serial dongle do?
 

 

2/05/2022 12:51 pm  #2


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

The only difference is the USB connection has a USB-serial adaptor inside the H3000.

You have to change a switch inside the H3000.

There are various threads on this in earlier years. Here is one

https://expedition.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1302

https://expedition.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=42


 

 

2/07/2022 7:17 am  #3


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

Ah, sorry, did not think of looking under Networking.

For any european looking for this cable, this seems to the one:
https://www.conrad.com/p/sensoractuator-cable-sac-3p-m-8mr15-pur-1681693-phoenix-contact-715004

Phoenix Contact Sensor/Actuator cable SAC-3P-M 8MR

     •Thread Starter
 

2/07/2022 11:17 am  #4


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

The easy solution is then to also use one of with the Phoenix cable (from memory, I think the H3000 was RS-232)

https://ftdichip.com/product-category/products/cables/usb-rs232-cable-series

 

5/14/2022 6:47 am  #5


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

Please - this is slightly Too complicated to me.
Can anyone Please explain in detail what i should do to connect Bg h3000 to a modern 64 bit computer?

I need it like in detail (have looked at the old threads Too)

Like
- buy this (x,y,Z)
- connect like this
- download this
….


Sorry for not being so quick

Silje

 

5/14/2022 12:31 pm  #6


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

The problem is there is no 64 bit driver for the RS232-USE adaptor in the H3000, so you need to use the RS232 port on the other side of the H3000.

This also involves moving a switch inside the H3000, see the B&G manual.

B&G no longer sells the RS232 adaptor cable, but it is a stock part. See the links above.

You then need to connect it to an RS232-USB adaptor, for example the FTDI solution above.

 

5/15/2022 1:51 pm  #7


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

Aha - i think I understand

- not use the usb Connection out of h3000
- use the serial rs232 out of h3000 instead
- to allow for this I will have to “adjust the jumper to use usb or rs232” - where currently I am at usb and have to follow page 179/180 in the user manual to get the rs232 “activated”
- then new rs232 to usb adaptor cable out of the h3000 rs232 into my computer usb  - solving the compability to 64 bits computer inside this product
- and added by myself: (maybe I need a driver for the cable - explained from the cable supplier).


Nais!
Thank you as always

S

 

5/20/2022 12:23 am  #8


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

These images might be useful for hooking up the pigtail. Please note this is which pin in H3000 that correspond to which function. Your ftdi-cable or connector pigtail will most probably have different color coding:


Last edited by barne (5/20/2022 12:26 am)

 

6/02/2023 4:21 pm  #9


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

Similar problem here:  I have a new laptop running Windows 11 that I'm connecting to existing boat cabling (USB) and I cannot get any instruments to show up.  The prior laptop still works and it is Windows 10.  I'm new to the boat, but I'm told it has a B&G 3000 system.  Prior crew hasn't had luck with connecting to the B&G lately, but they were able to connect to the AIS system.  I can't get anything that seems to work.   Any suggestions?

 

6/02/2023 11:30 pm  #10


Re: Modern computer and B&G H3000

If it is a 64 bit Windows, you can't connect to the H3000 USB port.

See the posts above.

 

Board footera




Check out RaceData for iOS and Android. Expedition data in the palm of your hand, or on your wrist! RaceData

Interested in advertising here? Over one thousand active navigators and Expedition users visit this forum. Click here to contact the administrator.