Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 3:44 pm  #1

GPS on Tablet

I have a Panasonic Tablet. Expedition is not recognizing the internal GPS. The GPS shows it is on Com 6.
Any way to point Expedition to find it?

4/11/2020 4:06 pm  #2

Re: GPS on Tablet

Com 6 should be listed in the list of serial ports in Exp.

However, Exp won't be able to open it if something else has it open.

4/13/2020 2:59 pm  #3

Sometimes Expedition see the GPS by getting a fix, sometimes it doesn't. I have tried booting with starting the GPS first. If I try starting the GPS after starting Expedition the GPS won start. Nothing else is using the GPS (that I know of)
Not sure what to try next.

4/13/2020 4:06 pm  #4

Doers it say open or closed in the Exp interface? If closed, then something else probably has the port open.

4/13/2020 4:22 pm  #5

If i start Exp first it say connection is open, then if I start the GPS, the GPS says Failed Connection and wont start.
If I start the the GPS first Exp say it is closed.

Last edited by Black Dog (4/13/2020 4:32 pm)

4/13/2020 5:23 pm  #6

I presume by "Start the GPS", you mean starting the app. The symptoms above illustrate that you can only have one app opening the port at a time.

When Exp says the port is open, that is good. You should be able to see the data streaming in in the raw data window. Probably it is a NMEA 0183 connection, although baud rates can vary a little.

4/14/2020 4:27 pm  #7

Got it. Looks like Exp starts the GPS program and prevents the Viewer software from starting. The GPS and Viewer must be independent from each other. I thought you needed the viewer running to get GPS data. Apparently not. Works fine with Exp now.  Thanks for your help.

Board footera