Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2019 6:19 am  #1

Nexus FDX Server connection

After Win10 upgrade I have a problem connecting Expedition via USB – RS232 cable to the Nexus FDX server. I found this link talking about the issue: Since this is my first post in this forum google for this link:
forums.sailinganarchy.com/ index.php?/ topic/135491-expedition-nexus-nx2-server-fdx-problems-with-wireless-serial/

My current work-around: I manually first connect the COM port as Garmin NX2 NMEA (and hit APPLY and then Wake) to get the data connection working at 4800 baud. I can then set the same COM port to Garmin NX2 FDX (and hit APPLY and Wake), and the data is coming in at the 19,200 baud FDX connection rate.

I would like the FDX server to automatically boot up in FDX mode instead of NMEA mode. The two links in the blog above don’t work.

Any suggestions?

7/29/2019 2:48 pm  #2

Re: Nexus FDX Server connection

Hello,

It shouldn't make any difference. Exp should open the port at 4800 and tell it to switch to FDX mode when you select FDX.

Because you can open it in NMEA mode, then FDX I wonder if this is a driver issue for your USB-Serial device. You could try a different adaptor?

I think the only advantage over the NMEA mode is slightly faster data?

They were pointing people to the GND10 at one point.

Last edited by Nick (7/29/2019 2:48 pm)

7/29/2019 2:59 pm  #3

Nick,
thanks for your reply.I think you are correct that the only difference between the NMEA and FDX modes is the data speed.That speed differential is very noticeable in the number boxes data display.

I get the same result with FTDI RS232-USB cable/driver and with a Prolific RS232-USB cable/driver.

The Expedition fails to connect straight using the Garmin NX2 FDX mode. Hiting APPLY and WAKE fail to establish a connection.

I saw somewhere online the NX2 Server command ($PSILFDX,,R) that supposedly switches the NX2 Server into FDX mode.

Can you confirm that command?
How can I send this command to the NX2 Server from Expedition?
Could you please elaborate on your GND10 comment.
Volker

Last edited by ZigZag (7/29/2019 3:02 pm)

7/29/2019 3:24 pm  #4

I will test with the FDX server today in case something has gone wrong at this end. Yes, the command is something like that. Exp should send it automatically.

I think the logic behind the start on FDX mode patch was to support a bluetooth adaptor with fixed baud rates.

The GND10 is Nexus network-NMEA 2000 adaptor. They made it after Nexus was bought by Garmin to smooth the migration to NMEA 2000. It has a USB connection that can send FDX data.

6/21/2021 3:49 pm  #5

I'm having trouble connecting Expedition to my Nexus server.  It has worked perfectly for years, and I am still able to connect to Nexus race.

I don't know how to  "connect the COM port as Garmin NX2 NMEA (and hit APPLY and then Wake) to get the data connection working at 4800 baud"  as mentioned in the previous thread.

Is this something you do within Windows, Expedition, Nexus Race...?

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 and the latest version of Expedition.
I'm also using a prolific chip Serial to USB cable like usual.

Any suggestions on how to get it connected this way or any other way would be much appreciated.

Last edited by sjones23 (6/21/2021 3:51 pm)

6/21/2021 4:30 pm  #6

Click the Instruments button on the menu at the top left of Expedition.

This will show a window with all the available serial and network ports available.

Go to the relevant serial port for the NX2 and select Garmin NX2 NMEA or FDX depending on your preference, then click OK or Apply.

Note that Expedition and the Nexus server can't both connect at the same time.

6/22/2021 8:47 am  #7

A follow up for any who may benefit from a step by step on this - probably myself in a couple years when I have another Nexus project and have forgotten! 

Here's what we did with Steve just now to successfully hook up.

1. Open NX Race, establish:
   -Primary connection 'NX2 FDX server' on Com 5
   - Enable secondary connection (check box)
   - Created virtual serial port on Com 6
   - Select NMEA protocol
   - OK
   - If all the NX Race toolbar icons go green you're connected.  Viewing sensor data on the 'Monitor' should confirm connection

2.  Open Exp
    - Instruments/Com 6/Garmin NX2 NMEA
    - Baud 4800, etc as per default - no changes made
    - Hit 'Apply' and 'Raw data' to confirm sentences coming in through the virtual serial port you established back in NX Race.  Number boxes, etc will now show sensor data

If there's a way to post photos I have a couple snapshots of this hookup.

Board footera