Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2015 12:16 pm  #1

Will the Nobeltec IR2-hd2 work?

The manufacturers plate says "mds-8". 17" dome
Just want to make sure it will work with Expedition before I finish the purchase
Thanks!

11/21/2015 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Will the Nobeltec IR2-hd2 work?

Hello,

​Is that one with an Ethernet cable from the dome? Some have an adaptor box between the done and the computer. It might be an MDS-8R.

If so, it should work. I have an MDS-9R connected to the test computer just now. It is just a larger version of the MDS-8R.

By default, the radar address is 192.168.0.1. For this test, I just used a USB-Ethernet adaptor and set the address for the adaptor at 192.168.0.5. It all seems to work nicely.

​We can give you a temporary key to test Exp with this radar.

11/21/2015 3:55 pm  #3

Nick,
Thanks for your reply.  I suspect the seller made a mistake and this is an mds-8
I'll know tomorrow
Follow-up question:  do I need an additional key to plug a compatible Ethernet radar if I already have a licensed copy of expedition?

11/21/2015 9:08 pm  #4

Hello,​

Just set up a network connection and select Koden MDS-1/8/9/10R from the list of instruments.

I know a couple of people have had problems with the 1R, but that could be different or they didn't set the network up properly.

Yes, no extra keys are required to connect to the Koden, just make sure you have the network adaptor set up correctly. I think the address of the radar can be changed, but 192.168.0.1 is standard. I don't know if Nobeltec changes this. 

11/23/2015 11:58 am  #5

Thanks, NIck.  It is indeed an MDS-8 with an RS422 serial interface.  I'll give it a test drive as soon unpack the box and can wire it up.  Any specific things to be aware of with Expedtiion and this model?

11/24/2015 10:39 am  #6

Hello, 

The old serial models will not work with Exp. I think they are quite old now.

Exp can only use the Ethernet capable ones. That is probably the difference between MDS-8 and MDS-8R

Nick

Last edited by Nick (11/24/2015 10:40 am)

12/12/2015 11:33 am  #7

Thanks, Nick.  I am now the proud owner of an RB714A arraywith the MDS-5R ethernet interface box.  As best I can tell, it should be plug-and-play.

- Mark

Board footera