Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2023 8:10 am  #1

current 180 degrees wrong direction

Hey folks.  Just sailed from Newport, RI to Bermuda as part of the Bermuda 1-2.  Plotting my return.  I wanted to create a current GRIB from my log files to make sure I avoid the meander.  I found the meander (4.2 knots of favorable current) coming down.  But when I create GRIB file from log files to plot current, the current in meander shows a NW flow instead of the correct SE flow.  Anybody know why?

Trying to link my log files and GRIB but dropbox not syncing right now.  

6/14/2023 8:16 am  #2

Re: current 180 degrees wrong direction

Log files and GRIB I created are located here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ro2oq93lqcxahwh/AABPLQLTfHeAKmLpKkLLsNJ7a?dl=0

6/14/2023 9:57 am  #3

Josh,
Dr Bohlen addressed some of it here"
https://marionbermuda.com/images/archive/2023/GulfStreamNote13June2023.pdf
Ernie

6/14/2023 10:07 am  #4

Thanks, Ernie.  This is more of a technical Expedition question about creating gribs from log data.  When I load my track based on log files and change settings to show wind and current along my track, the vectors are correctly facing E-SE in the meander.  But when I create a grib from the log data, the current vectors are 180 degrees off (pointing 330 deg M).

6/14/2023 1:04 pm  #5

Maybe send me the log file. I had forgotten that was there.

6/14/2023 1:39 pm  #6

The log files and grib are at the Dropbox link in the post. Can you access them?

6/14/2023 8:41 pm  #7

Yes. At a glance the code looks ok, but will try to find time to look at them next week.

Board footera