Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2016 7:06 pm  #1

BoatSpeed Errors

I'm still deep in the learning curve.
Only have intermittent access to live instrument data so troubleshooting/learning is difficult.
Today I was finally able to interface to the instruments through a vYacht Wifi multiplexor.
Instruments are a basic set of Raymarine ST60,  Knotmeter, windspeed, wind direction, compass.
Once interfaced I had boxes up to display various parameters.
bsp was reading approx. 1/2 what the onboard instrument was displaying.
Apparent wind readers all looked correct but True Wind Speed was blank and even though I had polars loaded,
Depth was good.

polar bsp and % polar bsp were blank.  I can understand that since they probably depend on tws.  So why 1/2 bsp and no tws?  GPS is not yet hooked up.  

Thank you

5/25/2016 8:48 pm  #2

Re: BoatSpeed Errors

It may be that the instruments are not sending TWS. Some don't.

In this case, you can tell Exp to calculate TWS - see the help Instruments | Calculations

Last edited by Nick (5/25/2016 8:49 pm)

6/04/2016 7:15 pm  #3

I'm still fighting to get the instrument data into Expedition correctly.

I was able to get back on the boat today so had live instrument data to play with.
I am now using an Actisense USB box to get the instrument data into Expedition.
Since SeaTalk does not broadcast TWS as per above I set Expedition to calculate it as was suggested.
(Thank you)

I am trying to setup the program to handle 2 different boats.  

The boat I was on today is boat 1,

I setup number boxes to display TWS for Boat 1 as well as BSP and %BSP.  All three were displaying no data.  When I changed those individual boxes to boat 0 the number boxes started displaying data.  I 

So the inbound instrument data is for Boat 1 but the calculated values ended up being for boat 0. 
I think Ventus was displaying it correctly even when the number boxes were showing blank.

The other thing I am having an issue with is GPS position.  I now have a GPS head streaming data into the ST network,  The chart on expediton says "No Postion Fix" but the boat icon is visible and in the correct spot.  Does "No position fix" mean something else.

6/05/2016 2:32 am  #4

In this case, always use boat zero. Ignore the others. ​Position fix. Maybe you are drawing boat one?

The no position fix message refers to your boat - boat zero. 

What do you mean by trying to handle 2 different boats. Where is the data for the second boat coming from?

Last edited by Nick (6/05/2016 2:42 am)

6/05/2016 3:00 am  #5

Data from only boat at a time.  Both boats were initially had different ways of getting the data into expedition.
So I wanted to see if I could set it up so I could switch back and forth.  But I will simplfy as my learning curve is steep enough.  Thanks for the feed back and a great program.

Board footera