Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2023 1:59 pm  #1

Unable to continue, possibly due to insufficient wind forecasts

Just tried running optimals for NSW coasts and getting this error.  

Running ISO only, Ensemble routing
Using Saildocs RTOFS + EXP for NSW + WRF NSW
Runs the GFS route only, all others throw the unable to continue error.  Seems to be grib data available in these times.

EXP 11.19.1, 4D 32bit

Any ideas?

Last edited by Mattzilla (4/20/2023 7:28 pm)

4/20/2023 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Unable to continue, possibly due to insufficient wind forecasts

Actually looking further, did a restart, cleared all weather gribs and using the Expedition weather download, no data is coming for EC, Icon etc, only GFS/NCEP

Is there an issue with the Expedition gribs data for anyone else?  Have had this error for a few days.

Edit - I was able to run the optimals by manually importing EC/PW data files from Predictwind offshore, so seems to be an issue with the Exp area gribs data (at least for NSW coast)

Last edited by Mattzilla (4/20/2023 2:26 pm)

4/20/2023 3:53 pm  #3

The grib server seems ok.

I just checked the logs for your grib requests and the files for your downloads and all is ok.

It may be something to do with ownloading teh data to your computer.

4/20/2023 7:14 pm  #4

I just cleared all weather data, selected a region from Port Stephens to Yamba and offshore a bit, all the grib options were checked, but have only received GFS when downloaded.   Download was successful.  
Any suggestions?

4/20/2023 7:24 pm  #5

I also just tried
- Delete all from grib folder
- Select Expedition gri option, uncheck and re-check all grib providers off/on
- changed date range to 5 days
- re-downloaded ok, but only GFS data showing when goto weather - "All models "dropdown and GFS is only model listed

The grib filename is EX_GFS011_21Apr23_132011.grb
Not sure if that indicates anything.

Last edited by Mattzilla (4/20/2023 7:27 pm)

4/20/2023 7:33 pm  #6

Can delete post...

Ok I think this may be my assumption of how it works being incorrect.  Have been using PW offshore to download all gribs in a batch and made the incorrect assumption about the EXP grib button doing the same.
I thought that it would download ALL the gribs for the area selected - eg GFS, EC, Icon etc - however it seems I have to highlight the grib I want 1 at a time. 
Would it be possible to be able to have a feature request to select multiple EX gribs to download when selecting an area?

Last edited by Mattzilla (4/20/2023 7:41 pm)

5/23/2023 8:49 am  #7

Hello,
I have updated Expedition and since then I have problems with the optimal route due to weather forecasts. 
Since the update, the weather models ICON_D2_Kiel, ICON_D2_Arhus are no longer in "my grib". 
I now use the alternative under "Expedition -> Icon D2".
After that calculates only part of the route and and aborts with the error message: 
"Unable to continue, possible due to insufficient forecast".

Wolfgang 

5/23/2023 9:01 am  #8

Postscript: 
With the GFS weather models it calculates the route, with the Icon weather models it aborts with the error message :-(

5/23/2023 12:13 pm  #9

heureka wrote:

Postscript: 
With the GFS weather models it calculates the route, with the Icon weather models it aborts with the error message :-(

This suggests that the forecast does not go far enough into the future to cover the route.

Do you have 'Extend wind in time' selected?

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

5/23/2023 12:53 pm  #10

This ICON options were removed from MyGrib a long time ago as the Expedition grib server is a better source.

As campbell says for ICON. The 06 and 18z runs aren't as long. See the notes on teh Exp weather web page.

Board footera