Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 10:55 am  #1

Iridium Go Exec

As this has now dropped -- I think that is modern parlance for it is available? 
Has anyone used or seen one?

There are a LOT of upset owners of the previous model on a face book post as nothing on the Exec is compatible with the new one ie you need a new aerial.

We will probably buy one as we can get data cards for a month which is fine for limited racing. And yes some of us still pay our own bills for data so sadly fleet broadband on constant on is a dream 

Look forward to the educated comments 

Kind regards

Bruce  

3/09/2023 10:59 am  #2

Re: Iridium Go Exec

Oh shit where did the expert on my title come from!!!!

Well I can string a route together.... but when Mr Field took control of our boat computer and made things fade and get coloured in 2 nanaseconds then like all things you see that there is real expertise and then general competence!

3/11/2023 4:33 pm  #3

I haven't looked at it in detail yet, so don't know much.

It uses Certus 100, so performance is much improved. One of the main isues with the Original Go was the time to connect or reconnect. This should resolve that.

The ethernet connection might be valuable rather than havign to rely on Wifi.

5/14/2023 1:23 am  #4

so far....
Go Exec - we are usibg for AZAB - UK to Azores and back  - qualifies as a sat phone under rules so we get sat phone and data --- well hopefuly !!!

We have the external aerial - the box is big and clunky - OK on a 40 foot not something I would want to carry up a hill!   Phone works fine and the faster speed than the Go means it is a relatively normal conversation. 

it works well with predict wind!!! It is fast eough to use the expedition weather data fields but am trying to get my head round data consumption that way 

if you have used a go then beware you have to turn evrything and anything off or else phones and PC suck data sneakily. Well suck is the wrong term -- gobble is correct 

5/17/2023 3:38 pm  #5

Bruce have you been able to connect iridium exec to expedition? I have been playing with the network settings but so far not luck getting a connection.  Predict wind as you say works quite well.

5/17/2023 5:37 pm  #6

I haven't used an Iridium GO Exec, but if the default settings (Network and Use Windows settings) don't work, I would try setting the Access Type to 'Direct to Internet'.

5/18/2023 12:53 am  #7

Crazypilot - yes I got it to work direct to expedition -- but I turned on internet access on the go - I turned it off quickly as that was when I started to get background data sucking everything -- the file size for expedition itself was fine as you can control that like the predict wind one but I have not mastered the turning everyhting off that uses data on the PC -- my android phone is easy but windows 10 running avg was not that easy - to be fair part of the problem was that I did keep swapping between using the Go and 4G to find things so it was not really a good test. I think once you were in offshore mode then it would be easier as you could live with evertying turned off -  what predict wind suggested was use their gribs and change the destination file and put into expedition whihc removes one step?  Obviously they have a large vested interest in getting this to work particularly know that Starlink to have woken up to people using their land based stuff on boats? 

As you can probably guess I am at the limit and probably beyond of my technical IT skills and pushing the boundaries. 
The people who sold our Go Exec kindly gave me 25mb and 5 mins voice for 2 days  to play with when I was setting up whihc was invaluable - particularly when you saw the data skiing away becuase you simply had not turned something off! 
We had an original go with an external aerial and to be fair it was really good. I sold it as we were not going to do anymore offshore races!!! But I was only downloading pwg 12 hour 3 day files when I was out of 3g /4g signal - I suspect one of the issues now is that there is so much more choice in terms of gribs and the increased speed of the exec probably makes it attractivce. 
If you are fitting it the external aerial has 2 bits of cable to the Go - the thin one needs a 360 loop inside the aerial -  watch how long you make it as you still need to equalise the ends at the Go. And the thin wire is not very robust. We pulled them down a davit - we have a cat - and had to be gentle with it!   

5/18/2023 6:22 am  #8

Thanks Bruce, I did get it to work in the end, Nick was correct I just had to leave the windows network setting as is, does not need the login details that the go needs.  

5/18/2023 6:53 am  #9

One thing you should always do in Windows is set limited connections to "Metered Connection" -- not all Apps will listen but the OS will limit it's use of the network connection.

5/18/2023 12:17 pm  #10

Yes, Iridium GO Exec is completely different to the legacy Iridium GO.

Metered connection - see pages 37 & 38 in the Iridium GO Exec manual.

I presume you could also use an Optimizer and select the Optimizer network option in Exp. There are also services such as Glasswire.

Board footera