Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2022 1:42 pm  #1

Mac Users

Hi All Mac users (and those who are considering)
With the recent shared C-Map issues, it was nice to see a few other Mac Users.  I thought that I was the only one out here. 
Been running Expedition a MacMini since 2015 with BootCamp running Windows 10 as our main boat computer. It's always been fantastic and runs very stable.  When in port, we run on the Mac side for web browsing and basic computing.  We try to only us Windows on this computer for Expedition and on board systems that we need when offshore.  Seems to keep the system cleaner (of course auto updates are all shut down on the Windows side, and we do all of our updating manually dockside).  This set up seems to keep the windows side isolated.
My home "work up" computer is a MacBookPro (Intel 8-core i9) OS 13.0 Ventura, running Windows 10 through Parallels.  I have never been successful in connecting our onboard instruments.  I've often tried to set this up as a backup, but have not been successful in configuring through Parallels, though I have to admit to not spending a lot of time to configure, as when on the boat, I have been focused on the onboard computer.
Last year we ordered a new MacMini with the M1 chip, only to learn that Boot Camp was no longer an option.  Fortunately we were still able to return it and get a new one with the Intel chip.
Wondering if others have been successful in the following set up and if someone can provide their input:
1.  Any luck running an M1 or M2 chip Mac with full instrument integration?.  Please describe the configuration that works best in your environment.
2.  With the Mac Book Pro, I only have USB-C connection ports, what have you found to be the best connectivity to the boat systems?  Ethernet? USB? Wireless options?  Please describe your configurations.

I'm also an Iridium GO! person, and we have had pretty reliable success in getting information on board through this setup through SailMail.  I know that it's slow and patchy and can cause frustration compared to faster (broader) connections, but it controls data well onto the boat, and builds a lot of patients!

I do understand that this is not typically installation protocol and the Expedition it is not recommended to run a Virtual Machine, but would appreciate anyone's input.

Thank you all in advance.

12/12/2022 3:57 pm  #2

Re: Mac Users

Hi jko9369,

I have a 2020 M1 MacBook Air which is both my work and personal machine. I travel a lot, so being able to run Exp on this computer was critical to me. With Nick's support I was able to fully test the Parallels VM environment and was really happy with the way it worked together. 

jko9369 wrote:

1.  Any luck running an M1 or M2 chip Mac with full instrument integration?.  Please describe the configuration that works best in your environment. 

In short, yes! I use Digital Yacht iKonvert connected to my B&G N2K network. This has a USB-A cable that I convert to USB-C using a simple adapter. With the correct driver installed and port configuration, it works really well, once initialised - which can sometimes be a bit of a faff, for reason(s) I haven't yet figured out.

jko9369 wrote:

2.  With the Mac Book Pro, I only have USB-C connection ports, what have you found to be the best connectivity to the boat systems?  Ethernet? USB? Wireless options?  Please describe your configurations. 

Simple USB-A to USB-C adapter works well for me.

Hope this helps!

12/19/2022 10:18 am  #3

My main boat computer in Windows, but in the past I have used VMWare on an intel mac to run Exp on board. I had full instrument integration with a usb/serial adapter connected to my H2000 Performance Processor and an Actisense USB gateway for my N2K traffic. 

2/08/2023 7:15 pm  #4

I run EXP on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro via Parallels and it works great.  Can connect to boat WiFi or Hardwire and get the boat and AIS data just fine.  Happy to answer any questions on my set-up.  

10/25/2023 5:26 am  #6

i run expedition over parallels on a M1 notebook from 2021. it works great. 
i cannot install my licenced cmap charts. it would need the nt-selector which is really old and grabby piece of software. nt-selector just works on x86 architectures ... 

how did you solve this?

Board footera