Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2023 4:38 am  #1

C-Map price classes

Does anyone know what the difference of the C-Map price classes for Local, Wide and Continental are? I can’t seem to find any information about the different level of data and information that each price class has. 

I’m also wondering if Continental can be used with Expedition?  What information would be missing in the maps of the Continental price class versus Wide and Local? 

2/03/2023 12:36 am  #2

Re: C-Map price classes

It is only the covered area that differs local and wide

2/04/2023 2:40 pm  #3

That makes sense and it’s what I thought the difference might be for local vs. wide. What about Continental? What information is missing and can it still be used with Expedition?

2/06/2023 9:10 pm  #4

Hi, from memory, in the continental purchase you only get the vector charts and not the raster charts or the sat imagery. I think the vector charts are the same but you can check the list. A clue is the the file size for the continental charts are smaller.
Can still be used with Expedition.
Cheers, Will

2/13/2023 6:47 am  #5

Thanks Will.  And you are right the Continental map only have the full vector charts, and high res bathy layer. they don't include the raster charts and satellite & aerial images. It sounds like the continental maps provide the basics of what is needed for navigation and it is more of a preference question whether to buy the local or wide maps instead.

2/14/2023 5:45 am  #6

Hi
I use a Continental CMAP 4D (West Europe). it's a vector chart with enouth detail for me. 

2/14/2023 6:21 am  #7

I'm a firm believer that you want the most detailed reliably chart for any area I'm are sailing... Especially if I'm are transiting along a coast.

Detailed maps of any port I might need in an emergency are a high priority to me.

Board footera