Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2022 9:47 am  #1

Current models for the US West Coast and Hawaii and LiC.dat files

Hello, where can I get free current models for US West coast and Hawaii?
Also I see a bunch std_lic.dat files, what are those files?
I also have C-Map4D charts which I was supposed to have current models but I can't get them displayed.
Thank you

Last edited by Astolfo (8/13/2022 9:55 am)

8/13/2022 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Current models for the US West Coast and Hawaii and LiC.dat files

You can enable the NOAA and simple integrated tidal currents on the Tides settings page.

For oceanic, see Mercator from the Exp grib server and RTOFS from Saildocs. Exp has the OFS tidal model for SF. The Current Lab has a current model for Puget sound.

Last edited by Nick (8/15/2022 5:17 pm)

8/15/2022 4:22 pm  #3

Hello Nick, I had already 2 of the tidal currents enabled, but when enabling a 3rd one I lose one of them, and this is why I was wandering if Expedition can take current and tidal current information from C-Map's 4D charts, because I have tides and currents selected and no currents are getting displayed despite changing different settings in the weather/current settings

For example, when I enable Seattle and Vancouver in the Tide settings, and then I enable Portland, Vancouver stops being displayed. 

Just Seattle and Vancouver 

Seattle, Vancouver and Portland

I am trying to do some route analysis along the US West coast but the embedded models only cover some parts thus the need for information on larger areas.

thanks

Ps: is there a similar site with similar data for the USA as 

http://grib.weather4d.com/AromeHD/
http://grib.weather4d.com/MyOcean/

Last edited by Astolfo (8/15/2022 4:58 pm)

8/15/2022 5:17 pm  #4

The C-Map tidal currents are essentially just a picture to Exp. We can't do anything useful with them.

Yes. You have global Mercator currents available on the Expedition Grib server. Ideal for the West Coast. You can also get RTOFS from Saildocs. The general consensus is that Mercator is better. There is also NCOM available in MyGrib.

For Puget Sound, The Current Lab (www.current-lab.com) has a nice model available.

8/15/2022 5:26 pm  #5

Nick wrote:

The C-Map tidal currents are essentially just a picture to Exp. We can't do anything useful with them.

Yes. You have global Mercator currents available on the Expedition Grib server. Ideal for the West Coast. You can also get RTOFS from Saildocs. The general consensus is that Mercator is better. There is also NCOM available in MyGrib.

For Puget Sound, The Current Lab (www.current-lab.com) has a nice model available.

thank you Nick!!

Board footera