Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2022 8:50 am  #1

Yellow Brick Help Please

I am practicing tracking with the Bayview to Mackinac Race for the upcoming Chicago to Mackinac Race.  I have the Yellow Brick tracking working well with the "YB Tracking" button.  I have a ref boat and know about the sync.  It all works well with this means of download.  I can also type in the link "https://yb.tl/bayviewmack2022-expedition.txt" in Google and get a .csv file that works.  I have signed up for automatic emails that come in as .txt files.  I download these and move them into a desktop folder. Whenever I try and use the "Tracking" button and the "Import" with these txt files I get the "Unable to open boat id file" message.  What am I doing wrong?
https://yb.tl/Links/bayviewmack2022

7/17/2022 9:43 am  #2

Re: Yellow Brick Help Please

I had some problems early on when I was trying different methods of collecting the data.
Try wiping out your existing Bayview files and start with just the 'subscription' method.
The first time you get an email I think it will have a boatid file, use that one and it should work.

I'll try it here and will get the email in about a half hour.
E

7/17/2022 10:07 am  #3

OK, I deleted the boats and then I went to the Exp Data folder.....Tracking and deleted all the files there.  When I try and import the emailed "boatids" file it says "unable to open boat id file.  So no luck yet. 

Last edited by Wheels (7/17/2022 10:07 am)

7/17/2022 11:38 am  #4

Wheels,

First time for a race from emailed files

From the 1st email from the subscription file save both files to you Tempfile
Sails>Tracking>Import> select BoatIds from your Temp file (you can select both by using "select cntl select")

You will get the message 'unable to open boatId file'  but click OK
give it a second to load then click on Boats and select your Ref Boat
Then go to tracking and you'll see your first time point.
It's working!

Second time through just Import the Expedition.txt file and all will be well.

Maybe Nick can weigh in but I'm guessing the message is giving an error msg worded for another circumstance.  If it said "BoatId file does not contain positions" you'd say 'ya OK'

BTW I see ELIMINATOR on the Bayview list, saw the boat less than a month ago in Bermuda after the Race...That's a program we all can admire!

Cheers,
Ernie

7/17/2022 12:31 pm  #5

Ernie.......I appreciate your help on this, but the boat ids never load.

7/17/2022 1:05 pm  #6

When the attachment comes in from YB in the email I use Save As and save those two files to a file I have created called C:/ProgramData/Expedition/TempEM
Do you have a similar temp file?
E

7/17/2022 1:46 pm  #7

I have a folder on my desktop that I save them to and then import them from.

7/17/2022 2:04 pm  #8

While using the direct YB Tracking download in Exp makes it simple, I just did this to outline the steps. Also please see the Expedition help.

1. Download bayviewmack2022-expedition.csv and bayviewmack2022-boatids.csv to a folder.
2. Go to Race tracking
3. Select Expedition as the format type
4. Click Import
5. Select the bayviewmack2022-expedition.csv file

Your position reports will then be imported.

7/17/2022 3:48 pm  #9

So everything I do with the .csv files works great.  Either the the direct link that you have set up or when I get each individual file by typing the URL into google.  The issue I have is only with the .txt files that I am trying to get via low band width emails.  I cannot make those and only those work.

7/17/2022 3:53 pm  #10

That is exactly what I did in the previous post.

Although Edge renamed them to .csv. It works exactly the same if I rename them back to .txt though.

Which version of Exp?

Last edited by Nick (7/17/2022 3:54 pm)

Board footera