Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2022 4:16 am  #1

NGT-1 with B&G HV - 20/20, 30/30?

I regularly use the NGT-1 to get data from an h5000 system on an N2K network into expedition.

usually this is the only connection i have - i understand it's better to get gps direct ffom the H5000 over a websocket connection, but in practice i usually just get everything off the N2K via NGT-1

One of the reasons i started using the NGT-1 was that the boat has garmin mast displays, and the NGT-1 will send expedition numbers to the displays over the N2k network.

so, my question is; if I use the NGT-1 on a boat with B&G HV displays, will I have to set up the websocket connection to H5000 if I want to send expedition numbers to the HV displays.., even if I still want to get most of my data over the NGT-1?

7/01/2022 12:49 pm  #2

Re: NGT-1 with B&G HV - 20/20, 30/30?

I think getting GPS data from the N2k network would be better than translating via the B&G websocket protocol. You also get more data.

Yes, you would have to use the websocket to send data to B&G displays.

7/02/2022 3:59 am  #3

I thought i read somewhere that it was better to get gps off H5000 than to get it off the NGT-1

Was I wrong about that?

7/13/2022 11:56 pm  #4

us7070 wrote:

I thought i read somewhere that it was better to get gps off H5000 than to get it off the NGT-1

Was I wrong about that?

Not necessarily, however if you think about it you are collecting the GPS data off the N2k bus with the NGT-1 direct to Expedition, whereas that same data has to go through the H5 processor and translations etc before getting to Exp via websocket.

I've not looked into any change in resolution etc between the N2k NGT-1 and websocket, but the data will have been changed in some way. Also, as Nick mentions, you get more than just lat/lon from the NGT-1.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera