Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2022 8:00 am  #1

Expedition to iNavConnect wireless router

I have an Nexus FDX network that is connected to my Expedition s/w running on a Win10 PC with a RS483 - USB connection. I would like to broadcast the (NMEA) data from Expedition thru an iNavConnect wireless router. This is what I've done so far:
1) connected the laptop running Expedition to the iNavConnect Navigation Network/LAN port using an Ethernet wire from the Laptop. I have blinking green led on the iNavConnect Navigation on the LAN icon (plus solid green LED - Power, and solid green LED - WIFI).
2) I can connect my phone/tablet/2nd Laptop to the iNavConnect network. I got an IP address 192.168.1.154 on the 2nd Laptop
3) in Expedition I did enable the UDP broadcast on port 10100  (Redirect incoming data to UDP Broadcast - Expedition Instrument setting)

I can't see the Expedition data on a 2nd Laptop regardless which IP addresses I tried. I tried:

Anyone with experience on this kind of a setup?
How can I test that Expedition is broadcasting the data via UDP port 10100?

Last edited by ZigZag (6/17/2022 8:01 am)

6/19/2022 2:12 pm  #2

Re: Expedition to iNavConnect wireless router

OK, I figured out how to connect to the Wifi network and see some data.
1) In Expedition I did enable the UDP broadcast on port 10110  (Redirect incoming data to UDP Broadcast - Expedition Instrument setting). The port 10110 is reserved for NMEA data
2) After I connected the 2nd laptop to the iNavConnect WIFI network I could see some data via UDP on IP 192.168.1.1 and Port 10110.
Remaining problem is that I only see GBS, GGA, VDM, and VDO NMEA sentences (Location and AIS). But I don't see any Wind data.

Any ideas why wind data is not coming from Expedition? Expedition does receive wind data on the Laptop that's running Expedition.

Thanks,
Volker

6/19/2022 4:22 pm  #3

Obviously Nexus FDX isn't NMEA data.

Rather than redirecting the data, a better solution might be to create another network connection in Exp and send NMEA 0183 data to it.

6/20/2022 4:49 am  #4

OK, great idea to "create another network connection in Exp and send NMEA 0183 data to it.

Clarifying question. With the "Redirect incoming data to UDP Broadcast" option only NMEA sentences from the AIS get forwarded, but the FDX data (wind, speed, etc) doesn't get translated into NMEA sentences in Expedition and hence that data is not forwarded.

Does Expedition translate all its data (coming from different sources (NMEA / FDX) into NMEA sentences to send them thru another network connection?

6/20/2022 11:38 am  #5

The broadcast option should just forward whatever is received.

Nothing is translated into NMEA 0183 sentences when it is received into Exp. You can tell Exp to send data in NMEA 0183 format.

Board footera