Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2022 5:03 pm  #1

Routing with Tidetech currents gribs

Hi, I would like to know how to solve a problem I experience sometimes. It seems there is a narrow gap between the edge of the grib file grid and the coastline, i.e. NSW coast. When asking Expedition to calculate a coastal routing with a head current, the result is a route that seems to fit into that gap. I tried to create one or more notes to "close the gap", but if the current is strong enough that is not effective. Anyone has any ideas/suggestions?

6/08/2022 5:02 pm  #2

Re: Routing with Tidetech currents gribs

Hi, does anyone have an opinion on this? Is this a Tidetech issue perhaps?

6/08/2022 6:51 pm  #3

The notes option is probably the best one in this case. You can just create a line if that is simpler.

Also, try the Mercator currents on the Exp grib server. They seem to be a little better in this regards. For sure mercator is generally better than RTOFS too.

6/08/2022 6:59 pm  #4

Thanks Nick. Also I am not using CMAPs nor ENC's, just the base map. Is that a contributing factor, e.g. if I bought a CMAP subscription ( I am assuming better coastal line resolution), would the issue go away?

6/08/2022 7:03 pm  #5

C-Map wouldn't make any difference. The issue is the gap between the Tidetech grib data and the coastline.

Try the Mercator currents. They seem better in this regard.

6/08/2022 7:07 pm  #6

Ok, thanks.

Board footera