Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2022 7:17 am  #1

Remote Desktop on Ipad

Hello

I'm newbe, I've just installed Expedition. I'm also French, please be indulgent with my English

To have a copy of Expedition and PC screen in the cockpit, I plan to use RDP on an iPad, thru the wifi of the computer, who runs Win 10 Pro. Everything is updated on the last release.
Installing RDP on iPad and computer is done and works over my home LAN at home. No problems
In the boat, I replace the home LAN with an WANET (or "ad-hoc") network connection, to have a direct link between the computer and the iPad.
The WANET networks works, and RDP works over it. I test it with my android smartphone and everything works

The problem I have : the iPad see that there is not internet access via the WANET network (that's logical) and so refuse to connect on this wifi network. And by consequence RDP doesn't works.

Thank you for help

Philippe

4/30/2022 7:29 am  #2

Re: Remote Desktop on Ipad

Hi Philippe

Did you find a solution to this issue? I'm currently having the same issue with remote desktop not working on the boat but only at home.

Cheers,
Lukas

4/30/2022 10:44 pm  #3

Hi Lukas
I didn't find the solution.
I continue to ask and search...

Philippe

5/22/2022 12:00 pm  #4

Hello
I have the solution. Thanks to the french forum hisse et ho (https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/)
The solution is to activate the mobile hot spot on the PC, and connect on it.

Go in the Settings
Network and internet
Mobile hotspot 
on this page, you will find Network name and password (you can change it)
and activate mobile hot spot

And on the iPad, connect on this Network. Remote Desktop will work.

Philippe

7/09/2022 11:47 pm  #5

Hello

The previous configuration doesn't work if not connected to internet at startup. Here is a solution that works always.

Create and start a WANET or ad-hoc network on the computer (many tutos on the web)

install tightVNC server on the PC (Free) : https://www.tightvnc.com/download.php
Install a VNC viewer on iPad. I use the one from realVNC (Free) : https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vnc-viewer/id352019548

Connect the ipad on the ad-hoc network. it's takes some time to be connected. check the IP address (tap on the blue circle with a i). make this address fixe
On PC, find the VNC server icon in the tray. right click on it and Attach Listing viewer. and enter this iPad's address 
On the PC, pass the mousse on the VNC icon in the tray, the server IP address will displayed.
In VNC viewer on the iPad, create a new connection with the server IP address and 5900 as default port.

This should works 

7/10/2022 1:23 pm  #6

I'm very surprised you are having this problem.

I run basically the setup as described except it isn't an adhoc network but a hotspot run on a router in the boat. Most of the time the router has no outside connection. I am still able to use Microsoft Remote Desktop on my iPad to my laptop at the nav station. The ipad does complain that the network isn't connected to the internet but it doesn't stop it from working.

When you try to use remote desktop are you using the ipaddress or the name of the machine? I suspect with an adhoc network you MUST use the IP address as there will be nothing to resolve the hostname. Because I'm running a router it acts as a local hostname resolved allowing me to not HAVE to use the ipaddress.

7/19/2022 9:01 am  #7

Hi
DNS and hostname resolution is a difference between the router and the ad-hoc network.
I will make a test with the RD and the IP address rather that machine name

9/15/2022 4:47 am  #8

Hello
I have made the test using the IP address. It doesn't work. I directly have the following message "No internet connection"
With the same IP address, it's works with VNC.

I guess that RD look for a DNS or something like that before connecting to the designated IP address. And your router provides this network capability.

Board footera