Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2022 12:33 am  #21

Re: Reanalysis Grib

Blue Flash wrote:

Is there a similar dataset available for the Newport Bermuda race?  Surely someone has it.  I second the "very few seem to know how" comment.  I went to the cds.climate.copernicus.eu website and got the ERA5 hourly data but can't figure out how to get Expedition to read the downloaded .grib file.

It should work fine, check you have selected the 10 u and v winds components, and the areas is sensible, years, months days and hours.

Try breaking the files down into 3 or 5 year blocks, or just get 1 year to see if it works.

I have just downloaded a file with the parameters and works fine.c.retrieve(
    'reanalysis-era5-single-levels',
    {
        'product_type': 'reanalysis',
        'variable': [
            '10m_u_component_of_wind', '10m_v_component_of_wind',
        ],
        'year': '2019',
        'month': '06',
        'day': [
            '01', '02', '03',
            '04', '05', '06',
            '07', '08', '09',
            '10', '11', '12',
            '13', '14', '15',
            '16', '17', '18',
        ],
        'time': [
            '00:00', '06:00', '12:00',
            '18:00',
        ],
        'area': [
            43, -75, 31,
        ],
        'format': 'grib',
    },
    'download.grib')

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

2/01/2022 1:33 pm  #22

Blue Flash wrote:

Is there a similar dataset available for the Newport Bermuda race?  Surely someone has it.  I second the "very few seem to know how" comment.  I went to the cds.climate.copernicus.eu website and got the ERA5 hourly data but can't figure out how to get Expedition to read the downloaded .grib file.

Are you having an issue getting the grib into expedtion?

If so goto wx datat on the ribbon
click settings
the click add file

Something Iike to do is to use the metogram (right click on the chart where i want to check the data) then export to excel. From there I can look at averages of weeks, months, hours. I find this a really helpful way of looking at the data. 

2/02/2022 7:13 am  #23

My problem was finding the dataset rather than opening it in Expedition.  I did finally find what I was looking for at File Share | Weather Coach (sailwx.com).  I want to recreate the historical route and wind study Chris Bedford did for the North Sails N2B 2020 seminar NEWPORT TO BERMUDA RACE PRESENTATION 2020 (northsails.com) for my boat.  Now that I have the source data, on to the next step of figuring out how to do that.

2/02/2022 10:44 am  #24

Here is the link to the data Cambell was disscussing.

https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/dataset/reanalysis-era5-single-levels?tab=form

Once you have the gribs downloaded you treat it like any other grib in expedtion. 
If you have 5 years worth of gribs you can run routes for all those 5 years. 

2/12/2022 10:00 am  #25

Does anyone have a source for current reanalysis data?  noaa appeared to have an ftp site for archived rtofs gribs but none of their links work and I cannot seem to find current information on copernicus unless I am missing it.

2/14/2022 6:11 am  #26

The link I posted above still works.
Don't click on the hyperlink. Copy and past it.

2/14/2022 8:53 am  #27

Am looking for currents (ie Gulf Stream)  reanalysis gribs.  I do not believe those are available on the Copernicus site

2/14/2022 7:29 pm  #28

It has this, but you would probably need to convert it to grib

[url]https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/dataset/reanalysis-oras5?tab=overview[/url]

2/16/2022 10:45 am  #29

Thanks Nick, that is what I was looking for.  I did in the end give up on trying to convert the netcdf data to grib format and instead researched some more on the NOAA site and eventually came across the archive of ocean data of NOAA: ftp://ftp-oceans.ncei.noaa.gov/ or https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/oceans/ which makes things much simpler!

Board footera