Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2022 1:40 pm  #1

Historical routing / sail analysis -- sail changes

Does anyone attempt to look at the prevalence of specific sail changes across a set of historical routes? And if so, how? 

I'm not sure this is that valuable, but I've been asked if it is possible. Exporting individual routes works for a couple, but not a couple hundred routes.

Thanks

1/10/2022 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Historical routing / sail analysis -- sail changes

I've run 40 years worth of routing for the Fastnet and the PacCup and used it for sail selection last year choosing between our kite selection to match our rating cert.
I think after shmooing a bunch of variables I had a couple hundred routes. I was able to export the whole thing as a CSV with a sail selection charts. You can build different charts and load them and export the same routes and get different sail selections charts each export.

1/10/2022 3:34 pm  #3

Thanks Sparky. Are you looking at the cumulative hours of utilization by sail or at the sail change?

What I'm looking to do is some sort of ranking for which sail changes are most common to inform crew practice. Is there is a way to export step/grid level sail detail from a large batch of routes at once? Again, this is overcomplicating things, but was asked if it's possible. 

1/10/2022 3:45 pm  #4

Yes, you can with the Analysis/Filter option.

Campbell field had a video on his web site about a way to use Excel to visualise it nicely.

1/10/2022 6:00 pm  #5

Thanks. Unless I'm missing something, I can only find a way to export the underlying step / grid data for a single route.

The analysis / filter option seems to only show an aggregate look at how many total hours you're in a sail (or tws/twa bucket) not how many times you switched to the A2.

1/11/2022 1:26 am  #6

From the base window of expedition to export the routing summary for all active routes you select Analysis from the Optimal tool bar. It is in the same group as Results, Clear, and Tooltip (right above Tooltip).
Campbell's website has a great video on it:
https://www.fieldyachting.com/videos
Creating an Excel Macro for filter outputs
https://www.fieldyachting.com/videos?wix-vod-video-id=6109091705e7484fa7080a97d3a4c3ca&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-kadyvzet

1/11/2022 10:08 am  #7

Much appreciate the responses. I'm familiar with the Analysis tool. While very useful, it doesn't provide what I'm getting at.

Bit of a silly question to begin with and from these responses it seems like no one else feels the need to over-analyze historical routes to tell them what maneuvers to practice... 

Best

1/11/2022 10:25 am  #8

Oh - are you looking to generate a list of peels to practice/sails to gybe with?

1/11/2022 10:46 am  #9

Yes, that's what I was asked for. We ran historical routing to inform some sail build decisions and as a follow up I was asked if I could help prioritize sail change practice...

Board footera