Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2021 3:56 am  #1

Sail not displaying in routing summary after changing between xmlchart

Hi all,

I have had an xml chart working well in my expedition for a while, I wanted to have a play with editing a chart so opened an old version of my chart and started editing and save it elsewhere. Then I re-opened my current version I am using and it is no longer showing a 'sail' column in the results summary in the optimization.

I have done the following checks:
*'VIew' the chart by opening it up then looking at my results window to see if it has appeared (it has not)
*Rung a friend who knows expedition to see if he can re-produce the error (unable to do so).
*Reviewed my sail list to check that the correct sails are selected and match those in the diagram (This triggered the sail column to appear briefly, so it might be linked to this but it quickly disappeared?)
*Saved this and rebooted expedition after saving the newly selected sail list which has the kindle/teepee symbol selected. Opened the sail chart and the optimization and the sail column still fails to appear.
*Re-run optimization after the sail chart had been checked for what should be the list.
I've reviewed my books and videos which simply say to 'view' the chart or to "draw" but I am unsure what these two thing actually mean because I have opened and selected them. I selected the draw trails option too?

I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what is going on,

Thanks in advance,

E

12/20/2021 7:11 am  #2

Re: Sail not displaying in routing summary after changing between xmlchart

E,
I don't use that feature but it sounds like you might have the chart in one file and the sail chart in another.
Do they both reside in ProgramData/Expedition
Ernie

12/20/2021 12:21 pm  #3

This is a common problem.  The calculation is done in the GPU, and Expedition will struggle to find the *.xml chart in a remote location e.g. OneDrive or similar.  As Ernie noted above, copy the chart into a local Expedition folder.

12/20/2021 3:19 pm  #4

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, it is in the local folder it has always been in. I opened another in the local folder and edited it, then closed that one, then re-opened my preferred one that is also in this local drive

Both reside in Crogramdata\expedition\sails

Last edited by ElyseGR (12/20/2021 3:21 pm)

12/20/2021 3:28 pm  #5

What they said.

Because it uses the GPU, it needs to have been drawn at least once and the Sailchart window should be in the Show Sailing Performance sailchart mode.

Feel free to mail me the sail chart etc.

12/26/2021 7:30 am  #6

I am now not getting sails in my optimal results with either an xml or a basic sail chart loaded.

all the sail charts are in the exp data folder

it's a bit confusing because i seem to have two different sail charts loaded..., basic for one boat and xml for another boat...

if i toggle between the basic and sailing performance buttons, i get the different sail charts - again, they are for different boats. for one boat i only have an xml chart, and for another i only have a basic sail chart.

i would have guessed that if i have basic selected, and i go to the file menu and load a basic sail chart.., that whatever i had loaded as an xml sail chart would be un-loaded - so i wouldn't see anything if i toggled to sailing performance...

i have tried exiting and re-starting exp, as well as re-installing/repairing exp.., but still have no sails in optimal results

Last edited by us7070 (12/26/2021 7:49 am)

12/26/2021 3:03 pm  #7

I think the previous poster had use sail polars selected. Maybe check that.

Yes, there are two sail charts. The one selected is the one used in routing etc

1/01/2022 5:44 am  #8

I recently experienced a related problem. Using a standard  sail chart, but was not getting sail info in optimum results.  Following Nick's comment of 12/20, simply switching to Performance Sailing Mode and back to Basic Mode immediately updated optimization results with sail chart info.

Board footera