Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2016 8:27 am  #1

Weather download request - Requested URL not found ?

I was requesting NOAA RTOFS Atlantic Hi-res model and I extended the forecast for 5 days.  I also select current and SST and all hours.

I received the error “Requested URL not found” the status under download status bar should “Success”
This issue seems to be a bad or just too generic error message.

Now the question is –
Is this data reliable?
What is the request missing and why would I get this error?

A little more testing and it seems that if I select “SST” and “current” and the rest at default, I am now seeing the “Unknown Server error”.

I also tested the PredictWind and that was working fine.  

Any chance of getting the error messages a little more specific as to what the real error is?
Thanks
Steve

5/09/2016 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Weather download request - Requested URL not found ?

It suggests the data isn't available from Saildocs at present RTOFS works.

5/09/2016 3:05 pm  #3

Steve,
I've had the same problem and found that SST is the culprit.  Just go for current and it will work fine even out to 5 days.  The basic RTOFS (Not Hi Res) doesn't crash when you ask for SST but I can't get SST to show?
IMHO 5 days is a bit much to ask for a GS fcst, have you tried comparing a 5 day fcst with a 1 day fcst 4 days later?  It would be interesting.

5/09/2016 4:52 pm  #4

Nick wrote:

It suggests the data isn't available from Saildocs at present RTOFS works.

I'm a little confused. When I request select "current" and "SST" is that really two request under the covers?

Is that why I see some of the data but not others?  And how do I tell which one "succeeded"
I'm really trying to figure out what works and what doesn't so that I know which one is going to be reliable offshore.
Thanks
Steve

5/11/2016 7:15 am  #5

Glad to have found this thread as it got me past a bit of a hang up. 

I had been pulling RTOFS GRIBs via the Expedition Saildocs interface, but have been unable to pull a GRIB forecast out past 96hrs.  I believe I confirmed same using the naked Saildocs email interface.  The files size plateaus at 96, 120, 144 hrs.

Using the Expedition NOAA interface, pulling a 5 or 6 day RTOFS (w/o SST)... no problem.

Is there any quality difference acquiring RTOFS from Saildocs versus NOAA?

Cheers

Board footera