Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2021 3:33 am  #1

Problems Purchasing C-Map

As of late, I have been having a lot of trouble purchasing c-map charts. I had a workaround for standard Navico support (who most there didn't even know what Expedition was), but that seems to have been removed and it is back to the black hole. Does it seem integration with Navico is causing some issues? 

Has anyone else had issues getting new charts, and if so how did you get around them. Is there a way to utilize Navionics charts?

10/30/2021 7:51 am  #2

Re: Problems Purchasing C-Map

I had to talk to a rep at NaviCo/C-Map to renew my charts this year. The store wasn't functional in any browser I tried on any platform.

10/30/2021 12:23 pm  #3

There were some issues with their payment provider, mostly related to jquery.

This is the main reason for changing to use the default browser in the web interface rather than the IE control.

10/30/2021 12:27 pm  #4

yes, I feel your hurt.  I think maybe the payment finally stuck on about the 25th attempt over a month.  Payment staff in Paris - don't ask me - were always going to call me back and never did.  I get the feeling CMAP is a legacy product and not well supported now.
Then there was a major install issue, but that's another story.

10/31/2021 5:14 am  #5

Thanks guys. The issue is on C-Maps end. Expedition is working flawlessly.
The problem lies somewhere in C-Maps bank/credit card processing settings. It is fixable, but no one there cares to address it. Perhaps we are not important enough customers?

I am from the USA, and the card is being attempted to process in Italy. I have tried 4 different credit cards, all international with the same result. 

I used to be able to call C-Map, and they had wonderful phone/email support. Now all support requests go through Navico, which honestly I am not sure that anyone in their call center has even seen a boat. They have no idea what Expedition is.

Looking at chart detail in some of the areas we sail, the Garmin/Navionics charts are now more detailed. I am beginning to question the long-term value of purchasing additional C-Map charts under its new ownership. 

Are there any other options for charts in Expedition that would be comparable?

10/31/2021 12:20 pm  #6

If you are sailing in US waters, why not use the official (and free) NOAA ENCs?

11/01/2021 3:22 am  #7

Thanks Nick, sure that would work in the US (I'll take free charts whenever I can get them ;). I am in Tenerife, Canary Islands right now, about to make a 4700 mi doublehanded passage to Mar del Plata, Argentina. Then down through the Beagle Channel to Patagonia. 

I have CM93 charts for OpenCPN, guide books, everything downloadable from Argentina, Navionics on the iPads, etc. and will grab local stuff available there, but... 

I like to use Expedition as the primary routing and nav tool, it is just better and faster than the Zues IMO and all of the boat data is in one place, and lots of data is available on one screen. It also allows me to display Navionics and c-map side by side on the iPads (remote desktop to Expedition) to quickly reference differences, which has been helpful when taking the boat into places off the beaten path. Quite frankly I think it is the best product available and I don't want to leave port without it anywhere!

I did finally get it to go through today with a card from a European bank. 

So the answer/solution is for those from the USA, find a Euro bank card to put the transaction through.

11/01/2021 12:58 pm  #8

That sounds more interesting than working in an office.

Another thing to try are different browsers. Initially the 4D system relied on IE, but that has essentially gone.

11/02/2021 2:34 am  #9

airacer wrote:

Thanks Nick, sure that would work in the US (I'll take free charts whenever I can get them ;). I am in Tenerife, Canary Islands right now, about to make a 4700 mi doublehanded passage to Mar del Plata, Argentina. Then down through the Beagle Channel to Patagonia. 

I have CM93 charts for OpenCPN, guide books, everything downloadable from Argentina, Navionics on the iPads, etc. and will grab local stuff available there, but... 

I like to use Expedition as the primary routing and nav tool, it is just better and faster than the Zues IMO and all of the boat data is in one place, and lots of data is available on one screen. It also allows me to display Navionics and c-map side by side on the iPads (remote desktop to Expedition) to quickly reference differences, which has been helpful when taking the boat into places off the beaten path. Quite frankly I think it is the best product available and I don't want to leave port without it anywhere!

I did finally get it to go through today with a card from a European bank. 

So the answer/solution is for those from the USA, find a Euro bank card to put the transaction through.

At leasts with the issues I was having a UK bank card didn't help. Now this is post Brexit so this it might be that having a "proper" EU bank card would help...

11/02/2021 2:40 pm  #10

I was in Patagonia in 2016. It was the best cruise I ever did. West of Ushuaia all electronic charts were absolutely useless. You definitely should get the Chilean paper chart atlas:

SERVICIO HIDROGRÁFICO Y OCEANOGRÁFICO DE LA ARMADA 
Atlas hidrográfico de Chile
7. Auflage, El Servicio, Valparaíso, Chile - 2009
ISBN 9789562350259

https://tiendavirtual.shoa.cl/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=18569&virtuemart_category_id=56&Itemid=645
The coordinate systems varied from chart to chart. So I had three different GPS positions on C-Map, Navionics and paper. Even the paper charts of the same atlas seemed to have different geodetic systems. But this atlas was still the best source for information. Supposedly you can only order it from the Chilean hydrographic institute, but I just saw that they offer S-57 and S-63 charts as well - Expedition should work with these as well. I hope they aligned the geodetic reference on those charts...

Board footera