Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2021 9:59 am  #1

How much computing power do I need to run Expedition efficiently?

I need to buy a new laptop to run Expedition on the boat, I will buy what I need but don't need the computer for anything else except Expedition. Any recommendation on the processor speed and RAM needed for efficient operation?

8/13/2021 12:46 pm  #2

Re: How much computing power do I need to run Expedition efficiently?

The main recommendation is to have 16GB memory with Windows 10. 8GB seems to be insufficient for anything on it.

I prefer the Intel GPUs. They just seem more reliable. The new ones are noticeably faster.

Otherwise, most computers you buy these days are ok.

Apart from that - the faster the better. The optimal routing is a lot faster for the next update.

8/13/2021 12:50 pm  #3

Thanks Nick, I will be using this for a lot of routing so will get the faster one.

8/13/2021 12:52 pm  #4

Norman,
I can't give you a techie answer to that, but the Web page https://www.expeditionmarine.com/ just says:
"System requirements  Windows 10 or 8 Windows 10 is recommended.  Expedition 4D requires  OpenGL support"

Try a search or two on this forum and you will find a lot of talk about what is best where.  Part of the discussion is more about the physical attributes of the PC eg waterproof or not, rather than the power specs of it.

From my own experience, I have used some pretty basic equipment with no problems.  I think the Will Oxley books may discuss this as well. My home PC for Exp is an off the shelf HP I bought for US$250 and works fine.

I'm sure others will chime in....
Cheers

8/14/2021 10:14 am  #5

I use two older refurbed Lenovo Thinkpads.
A T460s and an older X230... The T460s runs routing much faster. I use the X230 inshore with the T460s as a backup stored in plastic. Offshore I use the T460s -- It worked the treat on the Fastnet (Didn't help us with our timing on hitting every tidal gate.) -- with the X230 wrapped ina pastic as a backup.

Last edited by sparky (8/14/2021 10:16 am)

8/23/2021 7:00 am  #6

Interestingly enough, I ran Exp4D on a Mesa2 (quad core Atom, 4GB ram) on the Fastnet having drowned the onboard PC on the way out the needles...but that's another story, and I was pleasantly surprised (relieved?) with how it performed.

Admittedly not running ensemble routes with 6 models, but with v high res iso routing incl with TT with all the usual high demand options (avoid land, calc rev isochrones etc) was OK if a little slow, but we are talking a few minutes and no where near so slow to be unusable.

I guess the short takeaway from that story is that any half decent, moderate cost laptop running w10 and 16GB ram will easily do the job.

I have many customers who are still running their sub £300 refurbished Lenovo t430 machines quite happily. 

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

8/23/2021 8:31 am  #7

Campbell_Field wrote:

Interestingly enough, I ran Exp4D on a Mesa2 (quad core Atom, 4GB ram) on the Fastnet having drowned the onboard PC on the way out the needles...but that's another story, and I was pleasantly surprised (relieved?) with how it performed.

I was quite worried on the first 24 hours or so on the J111 that two computers might not be enough in the conditions we were seeing. I was lucky the crew was very good about the companion way hatch.

8/23/2021 1:20 pm  #8

The avoid land option is a lot faster in the latest release, unfortunately since the Fastnet.

Board footera