Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2021 10:04 pm  #1

Optimal Routing Error

Trying to build a simple optimal route Newport to Bermuda, I cannot seem to get around error message -The wind forecast does not cover the area or time required, The wind range filter do not allow routing to proceed. 
I have checked all the above and still cannot figure out what I am doing wrong????

7/30/2021 10:33 pm  #2

Re: Optimal Routing Error

For an optimal routing to work you need a:
- "NAV" polar of your boat loaded 
- route with the first mark (start) selectd as the active mark
- wind grib file that covers the area of your route and at least the time period when you want to start.
- defined start time for the routing (Settings - Opt routing - start time).  Make sure the option "optimize for current position and time" is disabled.

7/31/2021 2:48 am  #3

Reloaded my polars and now get insufficient wind data or no wind at start. Also did not have start mark set correctly I use the grib  and set for 7 days from all sources.

Still at a loss  

7/31/2021 3:02 am  #4

Maybe email me the exact details of what you are doing, with screen images.

7/31/2021 4:06 am  #5

Jim,
If you're using GFS switch the Resolution to 0.5
The GFS when set to 0.25 has been giving empty files, at least for the NBR area.
Ernie

7/31/2021 4:10 am  #6

Thanks I do have it set 0.25 
I will try

7/31/2021 9:28 pm  #7

It turned out that the issue was having 'Use port and starboard asymmetric polars' and Exp was just giving a generic error message.

I will add a warning if the polars aren't loaded/available.

8/01/2021 12:11 am  #8

Thank you Nike for your assistance

10/04/2021 5:51 am  #9

I am having the same issues for optimizing routes. I get an error message with two bullets - wind forecast does not cover the area or time required; and - wind range filters do not allow routing to proceed. I have change the GFS to .05, reloaded the polars, made sure "Use port and starboard asymmetric polars" is not selected, and restarted the program. I get this error message when I try single and multiple optimal routing.

10/04/2021 11:25 am  #10

Maybe email me the details.

Normally the problem really is that the wind forecast doesn't cover the start time and/or area.

Have you changed the wind filter values? There was a case recently where the maximum allowable wind speed was set very low.

Board footera