Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2021 2:31 am  #1

prioritizing/backup GPS

Hi
my onboard GPS (raymarine) is not that precise, so I bought a USB unit, which is great, but positioned in a less ideal place, so it sometimes drops signal. However, if I leave both on, the raymarine will create jumps, and jagged lines on the track. Leaving only the USB one up would create holes in the track....is there a way to set one of the sources as 'backup', so the USB has priority over the Raymarine?

thanks
Balazs

7/21/2021 9:58 am  #2

Re: prioritizing/backup GPS

My laptop computer and or GPS receiver no longer can pick up a signal to "locate" the boat on the screen.  I purchased a new sensor (BU-353 S4) in case my old sensor was broken however I still have the same problem.  What should I do to get this function working 

7/21/2021 10:51 am  #3

There isn't a way to automatically switch feeds sorry.

Mark - in the serial port connection page in Expedition, does it say port open or closed and can you see anything in the raw data window?

7/21/2021 11:43 am  #4

So is it averaging multiple sources or selects one?

7/21/2021 1:02 pm  #5

If you have them all enabled, all the data will get ingested as it arrives.

The solution is to disable the port in Exp or 'deselect 'Use GPS data'

9/05/2021 1:58 pm  #6

Hi Nick
I think with the new GPS selection, it would be nice to have more like a 'GPS priority', and if one falls out, switch to the next one? I have one GPS receiver that sometimes sends 0-0-0 coordinates and its really annoying on the track.

9/05/2021 2:50 pm  #7

We talked about that a bit while developing this and decided it was best to keep it a manual process so the navigator knows definitively when something goes wrong.

Board footera