Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2021 8:22 pm  #1

H5000 Interface

I have inherited a system that includes Expedition with a B&G H5000 System.

The Expedition manual mentions the config file H5000_config.xml  that maps the B&G websocket channels to the Expedition equivalent, but doesn't seem to define how the fields are interpreted.  id_exp and id_bg seem to be self-explanatory, but there is a third field for each entry, sysval.   For most channels sysval is set to "TRUE" but a few, including that for Forestay, are "FALSE".

Does this mean that Expedition is not receiving it's Forestay data from the B&G H5000?  The background to my question is that the boat skipper believes the Forestay readings in the Expedition log are not consistent with what he sees on the deck displays, and I'm trying to pin down the origin of the discrepancy.

Thanks.

6/27/2021 2:49 pm  #2

Re: H5000 Interface

There are 3 types of data from the H5000 - system, user or user damped.

Mostly we use the system values since they are defined as predictable units. The forestay load used by default are the user units since that makes more sense.

6/28/2021 5:12 am  #3

Thanks Nick.  Looks like I need to look into the B&G documentation

6/28/2021 3:29 pm  #4

NJ, the other thing to do is empirical.  At the mooring, no wind, slack the forestay right off.  Sit tight for a few minutes.  Is the H5000 showing the same forestay value as Expedition?  Now wind it right up and do the same?  What's happening now?  If they are different, is it a matter of roundng error?
The other thing I just thought of, what deck display is being used to see Forestay?  I have seen various differences caused by display on a B&G H5000 Graphic Display on NMEA2000 and (say) a GKN display on the mast the other side of a gateway.  Can you see any discrepancies on different displays?

6/28/2021 3:59 pm  #5

Thanks Duncan,

Yes, a comparison under sail is the next test on the list, though this is on hold due to the latest Covid-19 lock-down.

The deck displays are also B&G, so I suspect that it's a configuration rather than a compatibility issue, but I can't confirm this until I'm able to get back on the boat and dig a little deeper.  

6/28/2021 4:17 pm  #6

That's a quick response.  You are probably right, but start on the dock before the horde arrives.  Eliminate the chances of damping variation and loss of concentration.
Silly question, you have correctly configured B&G Forestay input to the Expedition Forestay variable?  It isn't something else that sending a somewhat similar number?
Don't get me started on COVID.

Board footera