Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2021 9:41 am  #1

Managing PC updates to limit data usage on a satellite connection?

I recently had a Fleet One satellite system installed.  I am now trying to ensure that I have all updates off on my laptop to avoid unnecessarily using satellite data.  I previously had an Iridium Go, so this was not an issue.  So far, I have disabled Google updates and synching, Windows updates and OneDrive synching.  Is there a way for me to tell what else may be using data?

Related, for people who have been doing this, do you ever reenable updates to get current?  For example, do Expedition updates ever requires newer versions of Windows?

Any recommendations and advice is appreciated.

5/01/2021 11:00 am  #2

Re: Managing PC updates to limit data usage on a satellite connection?

Hi,

We use Tripmode for windows, although not supported anymore, works great for us on windows 10. 15USD once and you can deny / allow each programme the use of each of your internet connections independently. 

https://tripmode.ch (scroll down for free trial of the windows edition)

Good luck

5/01/2021 3:17 pm  #3

Re: Managing PC updates to limit data usage on a satellite connection?

The easy first step in Windows 10 is to set the connection as a metered connection. There is also a setting to limit background data.

Some people use the Redport Optimizer, but it does limit some things.

Windows XP support was dropped in 2017. Apparently Exp still works on Windows 7, but I imagine something will break in the future now that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Board footera