Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2016 8:07 am  #1

Internal GPS

I plan on using the boats GPS but wanted the option for an independent backup.
Dell ToughBook Tablet comes with a built in  GPS chip.
Under Instruments, Windows Sensors, I found the checkbox  "USE GPS".  
It replies that no Windows GPS sensor found.
I also have checked "Accept GPS from DLL".

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by unplugged (5/19/2016 8:08 am)

5/19/2016 9:03 am  #2

Re: Internal GPS

I think the "windows sensor item" allows you to feed the GPS directly from a connected high speed unit, without buffering through NMEA and your associated instrument computers. 

The internal GPS on any computer/tablet/phone will be slower/less accurate and more likely to be interfered with due to limitations of the enclosing case on antenna etc. 

You can buy a 10 Hz GPS unit that has excellent specs and feeds NMEA2000 for $200 US list 
http://www.bandg.com/en-US/Products/ZG100-GPS/ 

If you don't have NMEA2000 to USB, you can get that through Actisense for nominal fee. 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

5/19/2016 1:24 pm  #3

'Not all internal GPSs are configured to use the Windows sensor.
 ​The more common method is they will appear as a virtual serial port to Exp. If you have one of these, just select NMEA 0183 as the instrument type. Obviously be careful about mixing GPS data from the laptop and the boat GPS. You don't want the Accept GPS data from Dll option.

4/16/2021 3:47 pm  #4

Nick,
Have a Dell Latitude with internal GPS chip that is working.  I believe all location use permissions in Windows 10 are enabled. Expedition Use GPS is clicked on and COM3 instrument is set to NMEA 0183.  Expedition still has "no position fix" and "No GPS 6 HDOP 100.0"  Advice?

4/16/2021 4:54 pm  #5

On the connection page, doe it say port open or closed near the top left?

Can you see data in the raw data window for that port?

Board footera