Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2019 1:22 pm  #11

Re: Iridium Pilot, optimizer, xgate integration to Expedition

Someone solved some Xgate problems this week by increasing the time-outs in it.

9/08/2019 10:48 am  #12

umewes wrote:

Just want to report back that it's working! A very sweet and fast connection. Optimizer and Xgate are GMN products, so you must use the GMN option instead of Nooa or Saildocs.

Same issues as you, but am not able to dload grib with GMN option either, same error message.  Are there other setting changes necessary?
thanks

10/14/2019 7:35 am  #13

When you use expedition with the optimizer and iridium handset what happens if the connection gets interrupted half way through, using predictwind and the optimizer it picks up the partial download and carries on, does expedition do the same or does it start again from scratch??

Thanks

1/05/2020 12:56 pm  #14

I am on a boat planning on using Iridium go and predict wind offshore application and grib source.  We will 
be using my computer with expedition as a back up.  How do I get the grib files from Iridium into my computer?  Also I am practicing over the winter....obviously I can download my own grib files...HOWEVER I would like to be able to load grib files provided by the boat owner into my computer during the winter.  Is this possible ? Can it be done with a thumb drive?  Thanks 

1/05/2020 1:52 pm  #15

Mark,
You're smart to be trying this stuff when you have lots of time and w/o an upcoming start putting the pressure on.

I don't know about using Iridium Go but once you have a grib file on the thumb drive you can easily access that in Exp.

Under the Weather tab go to Settings and click on Add File and select your grib file in normal explorer fashion, then click Open then OK and it should be loaded.

Ernie

3/08/2021 6:24 pm  #16

Nick/folks,

I am doing download testing using xgate, redport optimizer via Iridium 9555.

Appears going direct to the optimizer from expedition and selecting GMN as the GRIB source is the only way to create a successful comms link.  I also tried using the xgate selection by selecting it in expedition with no success.  Just crosschecking, to see if there is anything additional that should be available (saildocs for GRIBs and/or YB pos reports).

Thanks is advance---and the feedback in the forums is VERY useful for this lurker...so thank you!!
Shane

3/08/2021 7:18 pm  #17

Thanks.

I am not sure there is much/any benefit in using both Optimizer and XGate.

I don't have much experience with XGate and have only ever used it in testing. Luis from XGate is obviously the expert and a good guy too.

XGate and the Redport Optimizer in Exp both use the GMN proxy server.

If you select it on Expedition's internet settings page. They have the YB and Saildocs addresses on their server.

I have just tested with the Optimizer Network option (using an ethernet connection to the Sat port on the optimizer as I don't have a sat phone to test with). It seems to work ok. Obviously you must have the Use proxy option selected.

3/08/2021 7:40 pm  #18

Thank, Nick.

As always, fast and useful feedback.  That method of testing makes total sense!  Will enable WIFI extender and get to testing---and save the rest of my minutes for on boat testing.

Thank you!
Shane

3/08/2021 8:40 pm  #19

Reading back on this thread, one useful tip is to increase the timeouts in Expedition instead of relying on the Windows default.

I am looking at how to resume broken downloads, but so far haven't found a nice solution.

3/09/2021 8:22 am  #20

Good lookout, thanks Nick!

Board footera