Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2021 11:27 am  #1

Historical Surface Currents in NetCDF

I wish I could read in the historical (reanalysis) surface currents to use for route optimization practice and to understand the likely scenarios for the Marion-Bermuda race.  I've found several data sources in NOAA (grib2), NASA's OSCAR (NetCDF), but Expedition does not seem to be able to read them and display the data.

I know there are utilities such as CDO and WGRIB2, but heck, I retired from my engineering career so I could go sailing, not to struggle with operating systems and compilations and XML files.  

Or am I missing something about Expedition features?

--Dean K.

2/17/2021 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Historical Surface Currents in NetCDF

Expedition should be able to read the grib data, unless it is something unusual.

NetCDF isn't as well defined as Grib, but we are slowly adding to that as new data implementations are seen.

Maybe send me an example of the data and I can comment further or add support.

2/19/2021 1:19 am  #3

I saw that Campbell showed some historic Fastnet Routings for the past 10 years last night in a North Sails live Webinar.
So there must be a way to get these historic current gribs into Expedition.
Campbell, maybe you could give some insight?
Thanks!

Last edited by nav (2/19/2021 1:28 am)

2/19/2021 11:00 am  #4

I have added support for the OSCAR NetCDF data mentioned above for the next update.

I don't know what he used, but it could have be the Admiralty tidal diamonds, SHOM or Proudman datasets.

2/20/2021 4:50 pm  #5

Dean,
I will be with you and perhaps in the same class for the MBR. I too have been intrigued by all the talk about 'historic' data for the stream; but... I wonder if it is more valuable than the next 120 days or so of actual data relating to optimized courses for the race?  The data now may even have more value as it reflects how the stream and eddies are moving as we approach June 18th,

2/20/2021 4:57 pm  #6

oops...
It's easy to simulate the current for Jume 18 and then use todays WX and GS current and see how it would work out for your boat.  That will give you a good feel for things that may come to pass when the actual race happens. Probably as informative as 'historic' averages would be.
If you want to take this offline PM me here.
Ernie

2/21/2021 8:45 pm  #7

This may be another option  https://marine.copernicus.eu

Board footera