Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2021 1:39 am  #21

Re: Recommended laptop specs

radaroom wrote:

Folks:
Could you give your up to date specs (and/or recommendations on brands and models) for a navstation laptop.
Also interested in recommendations for a WiFI gateway.

(We use a navstation laptop running Expedition and then Ventus on iPhone and Mesa3 using RDP on deck when the going gets tough.)

The topic of laptop spec is a long one depending on the expectations of the user.

Personally I would install Exp and charts on the Mesa and network the seats together - a far better user experience of Expedition.

The poynting.tech puck antennas are a very good option.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/23/2021 6:23 pm  #22

Many thanks Campbell!

12/31/2021 4:09 pm  #23

Howdy --

Does anyone know whether Windows 11 is a problem?  I see that Windows 10 is recommended, but it is getting more difficult to find a laptop that has windows 10.... Windows 11 seems to be the default now. 

Cheers,
Mark

12/31/2021 10:19 pm  #24

I haven't had any problems on Win 11. Expedition seems to run slightly faster.

There was a topic on this forum that mentioned it a few months ago.

1/01/2022 8:21 am  #25

Hi Nick -- Thanks for the timely reply.  Getting ready to pull the trigger on new laptop, and upgrade the Expedition that I bought in 2016.
Happy New Year!
Mark

1/09/2022 2:45 am  #26

Campbell_Field wrote:

DuncanR wrote:

Campbell, welcome to the glasses-as-assets club ... unfortunately.  I understand your pain, I am looking for a pair of glasses with windscreen wipers .... solar powered.
If I understand you correctly, in normal mode the Getac sits down below and talks to the instruments (wired or wireless, does not matter unless the Mesa dies) and the Mesa on deck shows a Getac screen capture via RDP or whatever app you like,  Additionally however, if the Getac dies, the Mesa is loaded with a copy of Expedition which can be fired up and which gets and sends data to instruments?  Or are you running two entirely parallel boxes, both running Expedition separately?
Cheers

Tardy reply - sorry.

I typically run Expedition on both machines set up identically with data Tx/Rx Exp data over UDP - the primary machine below connected to the instruments and set as a slave in Exp Settings so any calculated data in the Mesa2 is passed through the remote channels. Should the deck screen die it is easy to return the downstairs machine to primary and carry on.

I find the data is a lot faster and more reliable this way than using RDP or other screen mirroring solutions, and should the connection be dropped can easily be reconnected using Exp Network reconnect.

For some inshore racing I connect the Mesa2 directly to the instruments over WiFi saving the weight and power consumption of an extra machine below.

This seems like a good option. I was messing around with it at home and couldnt get my tablet to connect to the laptop. It seems like it should be pretty simple. Any tricks?

1/10/2022 1:23 pm  #27

As Campbell is in the middle of the Atlantic right now, I wouldn't expect a quick reply.

1/10/2022 1:33 pm  #28

Haha. Yeh I did realize that when I had a look at the yb tracker after the race start.

I might be able to figure it out with enough playing. I can send the data just not receive it.

The way Cambell sets it up seems like a good way of doing it.

1/10/2022 3:46 pm  #29

Make sure you have the firewall set up to enable both Public and Private networks if needed.

1/24/2022 7:11 am  #30

Stroppy wrote:

Campbell_Field wrote:

DuncanR wrote:

Campbell, welcome to the glasses-as-assets club ... unfortunately.  I understand your pain, I am looking for a pair of glasses with windscreen wipers .... solar powered.
If I understand you correctly, in normal mode the Getac sits down below and talks to the instruments (wired or wireless, does not matter unless the Mesa dies) and the Mesa on deck shows a Getac screen capture via RDP or whatever app you like,  Additionally however, if the Getac dies, the Mesa is loaded with a copy of Expedition which can be fired up and which gets and sends data to instruments?  Or are you running two entirely parallel boxes, both running Expedition separately?
Cheers

Tardy reply - sorry.

I typically run Expedition on both machines set up identically with data Tx/Rx Exp data over UDP - the primary machine below connected to the instruments and set as a slave in Exp Settings so any calculated data in the Mesa2 is passed through the remote channels. Should the deck screen die it is easy to return the downstairs machine to primary and carry on.

I find the data is a lot faster and more reliable this way than using RDP or other screen mirroring solutions, and should the connection be dropped can easily be reconnected using Exp Network reconnect.

For some inshore racing I connect the Mesa2 directly to the instruments over WiFi saving the weight and power consumption of an extra machine below.

This seems like a good option. I was messing around with it at home and couldnt get my tablet to connect to the laptop. It seems like it should be pretty simple. Any tricks?

I'm back. Did you resolve? You do need to be diligent in specifying the IP addresses etc for the Exp instrument selection in the Instruments Network port, as well as being sure that you have set tx on one machine to match rx on the other, and vise versa.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera