Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2020 1:12 pm  #1

Weather Pallet in Weather

There are six numbers from 1 to 6. Not sure how to adjust them to remove or add things. Can someone give me brief how to work it. Thanks

12/20/2020 1:22 pm  #2

Re: Weather Pallet in Weather

You can set the weather parameters to draw and how to draw them in weather settings.

When you select a different mode (1-6), Exp will load the last configuration you had for that setting.

12/20/2020 6:16 pm  #3

SmokumToo,
I like to set up each number to show a certain feature or features; eg
I have 1 set with almost no WX features showing so if I want a clean screen to see just the Optimized Routes without background 'noise'
2 with just wind set to show prominently
3 for wind and current like in a Newport Bermuda
4 for when the owner wants to see if there's any rain
5 maybe for waves
6 to play, maybe showing CAPE or something more exotic
If you put too much on one view it can get confusing or cluttered
It's an easy way to switch the emphasis of the chart display.
You have to play with the settings to get the view you want as the assigned values, contours, and weighting, it can be confusing until you get a feel for it.  But that being said it's very powerful...like those colour models you see on the telley every morning...you get to pick the colours in this case.  :-))
Cheers,
Ernie

1/30/2021 10:14 am  #4

Thanks Ernie M for the response.

I am now working on Exp for a year now. I am tackle items every week to get better at Expedition. But not knowing is difficult to get. Are you saying if I go into settings and turn Palette #1 on I can set up wind. If I go to Palette #2 I can set up waves.etc etc.  Not sure how to turn things on or off. Why is Exp so weird to understand. I have done Peter ilser North U 101, Routing and Opt course. Just recently did Starts and Racing. I got to know how to refine my polars, 2 different ways. But have not a clew to set the Palettes. Peter mentions them briefly. Anymore insight how to configure them. Thanks for your time.
Note I just read Nic comment below. I think he is saying if I add weather opt then I add waves Exp remembers my last move. Still don't how it is assigned. Sorry to be so thick.

1/30/2021 1:34 pm  #5

It is all automatic.

As an example, if you have weather settings 1 selected and make some changes, then they will be saved if you switch to a weather settings 2 and the settings for that preset will be selected. If you then go back to 1, the settings you previously had for that setting will be selected.

The various weather settings are selected on the weather settings page. The Defaults button can be useful as a start.

1/31/2021 5:54 am  #6

Smokum,
Each number has the whole range Wind, Rain, Current, Waves etc  So if you want to look at the chart with the emphasis on say wind you adjust the wind settings so they are predominant.  If you want the currents (and have RTOFS downloaded for say the Gulf Stream) you can adjust them in another number so they pop out and the wind in that number is maybe only a small arrow.

The TV weather guys do this all the time when they want to show you wind, or snow, It's just a way to emphasize the feature you're interested in at the moment.  Or to show your skipper/owner what he's asking about.  The six numbers let you set up the display six different ways so you can go back to them when as navigator someone asks you "what about rain?"  You say to yourself 'I've got that in number 3' and pop it up to make your point.

To be more detailed you can Contour colors to show red for heavy wind fading down to blue for light winds...or you can use only traditional barbed wind arrows.  Pick one feature like wind and set up two of the numbers to show it two different ways, keep notes, and keep tweaking them until you get a feel for them.  You will eventually get a feel for the terms and settings and move on to another feature. say rain.
It does take time.

Don't get overwhelmed, the reason it seems confusing at first is because it is such a powerful and flexible package.  As you advance with Exp you can learn the features that are important to you at the moment and can advance as other needs come up. 

Come back here if you get stuck...someone on this forum has likely had the same question.
Good Luck,
Ernie

2/10/2021 3:31 am  #7

With Expedition now having 9 presets for the weather display, it can get confusing if you don't remember exactly which settings were stored under which preset.
To solve this, a nice feature would be the possibility to set a short description for each preset ("Wind & Current" or "Wind gusts and current").  Then show this description as a mouse-over tooltip when you hover your mouse above one of the preset buttons.

2/10/2021 3:57 am  #8

ZeeZee wrote:

With Expedition now having 9 presets for the weather display, it can get confusing if you don't remember exactly which settings were stored under which preset.
To solve this, a nice feature would be the possibility to set a short description for each preset ("Wind & Current" or "Wind gusts and current").  Then show this description as a mouse-over tooltip when you hover your mouse above one of the preset buttons.

+1

2/10/2021 7:49 pm  #9

Done for the next update. I have changed the weather settings page as it was getting cluttered.

2/10/2021 11:48 pm  #10

Looks very good Nick.  Tnx!

Board footera