Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2020 5:06 am  #1

INNOVSAIL Conference Statistical Analysis of Sailing Forecasts paper

Enjoy our academic paper submission to the INNOVSAIL International Conference!

We were lucky enough to present our software and purpose of its application alongside some very talented and interesting individuals, teams, and companies!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/542eec32e4b0fc2c609ef58b/t/5fdf4b09fb7de13a646a9280/1608469259645/ModelAccuracy+-+Statistical+Analysis+of+Sailing+Forecasts+-+INNOVSAIL+International+Conference.pdf

Last edited by Model Accuracy (12/20/2020 5:07 am)

12/20/2020 1:20 pm  #2

Re: INNOVSAIL Conference Statistical Analysis of Sailing Forecasts paper

Thanks Chris. A couple of thoughts.

The paper says you compare TWD and TWS with the forecast. This is the sailing wind. Arguably GWD and GWS would be better, especially in areas where the current is significant.

In 2.2, the paper says you use the nearest data point in the grib data. I think even a bilinear interpolation would be better for this.

12/23/2020 4:32 am  #3

Nick, that is great insight and thank you for viewing our academic paper submission!

Regarding the GWD and GWS we will review that computation possibility. We aren't aware of a customer base that has complained about an inaccurate analysis in areas with significant current, but we definitely want to stay on the cutting edge of development and will review that right away! I do understand and hear your input there and will review immediately!

We will review the bilinear interpolation process and what that would do for the computation time. I imagine it may double it at a minimum, if not more as then it would need to scale the information. Meaning, if it was only 1/3 the way in-between two spaces it simply couldn't average the results but instead apply that scaling. I will review with the team and report back!

Thanks for your input! We are always trying to make life easier for Expedition users and appreciate the feedback. 

12/23/2020 1:55 pm  #4

Thanks Chris!

Board footera