Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2020 3:07 am  #1

Device for logging NMEA data for analyze in Expedition

I will start sailing a 27 foot Seascape (First) with a B&G H5000 system and I'm using Expedition for planning and analyze. We will sail shorthanded in longer races for up to 4 days. In this boat we won't be able to have a PC running continually with Expedition.

So, my idea is to install a NMEA 2000 recording device (like Yacht Devices YDVR-04) and then import the data to Expedition for analyze after the race. I have no experience with recording devices or import of data to Expedition. What are your recommendations and experience from similar cases?

11/12/2020 10:32 am  #2

Re: Device for logging NMEA data for analyze in Expedition

The YD recorder is quite a nice device and is well supported. They provide a a viewer and tools to retrieve the data and convert to various formats.

In addition, you can convert the data to Expedition log file format. I still need to add AIS to that though.

11/12/2020 11:43 am  #3

Thanks for the input Nick.

Is it possible to import the output from the YD tool direct to Expedition or is any conversion needed in-between? 

Also, where do you mean AIS supper are missing?

11/12/2020 12:01 pm  #4

You can convert the YD log file to Expedition log file format with the Convert button on the Tools ribbon.

It doesn't do anything with AIS logged in the YD yet. Eventually, it will import any you have mapped to boats for tracking etc.

11/13/2020 10:23 am  #5

The YD or Actisense devices are nice units for logging standard PGN. However be aware that they will not record custom PGN's that B&G use on their network. It has taken a while to get Rudder on the YD unit, and you might find yourself missing some other data.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

11/15/2020 12:53 pm  #6

Thanks Campbell and Nick, I will get a YD and try it out.

11/26/2020 8:24 am  #7

Hi, a bit late perhaps. I am using the YD as well, for the same reasons. Allthough YD claims it records éverything on the bus, I am not really sure what data the h5000 sends out  in a way that it is recorded, and what is not..
Anyway, I want to point you to the option of filtering the devices/pgn's on the network, before or after recording. Also, YD records not to one big file, but chops it up in smaller portions, depending on the size of SD you use. There's free software on their website to compile these smaller files into one big file for import in Exp.

Last edited by NoRay (11/26/2020 8:26 am)

Board footera