Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2020 5:31 am  #1

B&G polar download column parsing issue

Hi,

When using B&G websocket to download the polar from h5000 I think there's a parsing error when creating the bg_polar.txt file, as the B&G's last four columns, after 180 degrees, of Upwind VMG, Upwind Angle, Downwind VMG, Downwind Angle are instead interpreted as 190 200 210 220 degrees.

Was also curious if there was a reason, a workflow, as to why this file was downloaded to config directory, rather than polar.

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited by christiant (11/20/2020 5:37 am)

11/20/2020 12:21 pm  #2

Re: B&G polar download column parsing issue

If this function is essentially obsolete, what's the best workflow for managing a polar with H5000?

I'm just starting out with Expedition, and looking to improve our polar over time - I figured it was best to start by importing from the H5000 (using the websocket Download), making adjustments in Expedition, and using the websocket Upload function to push changes over time - is there a better way?

11/20/2020 12:39 pm  #3

Hello,

Sorry, I was redoing my answer as I misunderstood a little and then accidentally deleted it.

Yes, those headers are incorrect, although they aren't really a problem as the file would only be used in Exp and the load/save functions are probably not needed for anything. I will change them to be saved to the instruments folder.

The "Save to H5000 file" function writes a file in the B&G format. This dates from when copying this on an SD card was the only easy way to update the H5000 polar. Once they added polar support to HLink and then the Websocket, it essentially became obsolete. However, you can load this file into the H5000 with the browser interface, but it is a little more tricky.

For H5000 I only use the "Upload to B&G" function now.

Yes, that is probably the best way for polar management.

If you don't have the original polar, you could download from the H5000 then copy to the Expedition Performance polar.

Keep it as your master copy and edit as you wish.

Then, whenever you wish to update the B&G polar, just "Copy from performance polar" and "Upload to B&G"

Last edited by Nick (11/20/2020 1:06 pm)

11/20/2020 12:47 pm  #4

Thanks  - appreciate the advice.

Board footera