Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2020 2:03 am  #1

GFS Ensemble forecast download in Expedition

Hello,
When selecting NOAA GFS Ensemble Forecast download in Expedition it downloads for maximum 10days, even though 16days are selected. Forecast ends at H240 even though it should be available up to H384. Is this a problem in Expedition or with NOAA not making the forecast available for a longer time frame?

I also get a notification "It may be better to download this model from Expedition, Saildocs or Squid".
Saildocs does not have the GEFS model available.

Is there another way for a (free) download of GEFS 16days?

11/16/2020 10:28 am  #2

Re: GFS Ensemble forecast download in Expedition

Yes, the Great Circle etc downloads will always be more efficient than the NOAA download.

The GEFS 0.25 is available to 240 hours. The 0.5 degree GEFS is available to 840 hours (35 days).

I will look at adding the 0.5 back in, but obviously not to 35 days.

11/16/2020 12:28 pm  #3

Fyi, I have posted an update (11.5) that includes the 0.5 degree GEFS data.

11/17/2020 10:54 pm  #4

thanks Nick, much appreciated

11/20/2020 12:56 pm  #5

All, I like to have a hack at GEFS, but for the life of me can't figure out how to access in Expedition.  I don't have paid-up Squid account right now, freebie only, and GEFS doesn't show through Wx Data/Expedition?

11/20/2020 5:55 pm  #6

Duncan - see the initial topic.

The GEFS isn't on the Expedition server. We just made that to serve data we couldn't get from Saildocs or Great Circle - initially ICON, but they both have that now.

Board footera