Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2020 5:49 am  #1

It is possible to connect Expedition to a virtual boat for training?

As the boat is far away, is there any possibility to ”use” the software in order to learn it, whiteout having the PC connected to the boat? There is such a ”virtual boat” to which I can connect for training purposes or to set the software in a demo version?  

10/30/2020 6:37 am  #2

Re: It is possible to connect Expedition to a virtual boat for training?

There are at least a few options...
One is the simulator built into Expedition...
The second is one of the NMEA simulators for the PC that support the netwrok protocol.
The third option would be http://www.sailonline.org/ -> there are tools to output the virtual boat into NMEA output.

However, these are all pretty idealized. All your instruments are damped and well behaved. But it is good to get just the basic practice and to figure out how to configure you windows and and what information you want to look at where an how.

10/30/2020 8:41 am  #3

Thank you very much sparky.

10/30/2020 11:05 am  #4

I tried to figure how to use the simulator that you mentioned that is built into Expedition, but even if I see it mentioned in the manual, there is no such option under the ”Applications” menu, even if the other applications mentioned in the user manual, are there. Should something be installed/configured?

10/30/2020 11:20 am  #5

It is on the Playback ribbon

11/06/2020 10:48 am  #6

I created the NMEA Proxy for sailonline.org, but I cant figure what settings should be done in Expedition to read the data from this virtual NMEA server?

11/06/2020 12:07 pm  #7

My guess from that is that you want to use 192.168.0.147 as the address if it is TCP

11/06/2020 2:28 pm  #8

@Nick: That's correct..Stupid error as I changed the IP of the virtual server. However it does not always connect, for an unknown reason.

Last edited by iurie (11/06/2020 4:01 pm)

Board footera