Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2020 11:00 am  #11

Re: Connecting to B&G H5000 Hercules RX to TX + to + and A to B?

@us7070 I plan to upgrade to NGT-1 till spring, but I make the list of all upgrades that need to be made.
Most probably there is a point with GPS as Nick pointed that NGT-1 is useful to remove latency associated with the GPS data being forwarded by the H5000. But all the other data is not coming as well with a certain latency from H5000? Some data has more latency?
Indeed is hard to understand, but I just trust that Nick has the best understanding of the entire system NMEA2000 + H5000 + Expedition. If he can explain, it would be useful for all.
In any case I will acquire NGT-1, even if I have no AIS.
Except AIS data there is any other data that is not provided by H5000 trough websocket (i.e. load from a loadcell amplifier), but that can be used or logged by Expedition?

10/31/2020 11:33 am  #12

The GPS timeliness is essentially due to the H5 reading it from the network and then passing it over the websocket. Wind etc is calculated in the H5000, so you are getting it at the same time.

One reason people use an NGT-1 is you still have position if the H5000 falls over. The old H2000 also used to remove some precision, so I am always wary.

There can also be other GPS information available from the network that isn't set over the websocket.

10/31/2020 7:26 pm  #13

Nick - what about depth and heading?

it seems like it would be better to get them off the N2K network as well

or, do we need to get them off H5000 in order to get calibrated values?

10/31/2020 7:55 pm  #14

Yes, I think you want to get anything the H5 calibrates or selects from the websocket.

11/01/2020 2:24 am  #15

Is the NGT-1 interface useful in the start when pinging the buoys from Expedition/Ventus and at the start gun? Or why it is important to overcome this GPS latency introduced by H5000 (ie some computations made in Expedition)?

11/01/2020 11:29 am  #16

Remember that using NGT-1 for GPS position without some configuration can be tricky. There are probably several GPS sources on the boat. Maybe you have a main GPS, a backup GPS and also there might be a GPS in every chartplotter. All GPSs are broadcasting their position on the N2K network and positions might not be exactly the same (as aerials are in in different positions, offsets etc). The result might be a boat with alternative, "jumpy" positions in Expedition.

So I guess either use the websocket for GPS as well or use the configuration setting in Expedition for the Actisense NGT-1 so that only best GPS is used for position.

11/01/2020 11:17 pm  #17

@barne Thank you for the hint. That's correct, there is a backup GPS and 2 chartplotters with their own GPS.

Board footera