Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2020 5:42 pm  #1

Sailflow bouys on EXP.

I see you can get Sailflow buoys to show up on Exp now. 
Do you have to have a paid subscription to SF?
How is the data received, I take it by cell connection?
Great Idea!

10/19/2020 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Sailflow bouys on EXP.

Yes, it is a really nice feature. We used to use them on the phone a lot whilst racing.

Yes, over any internet connection.

You need at least a Plus membership. They are only $3.99 a month. The Pro level membership gives more weather stations for $9.99/month. You can see where these are on the web browser

https://secure.sailflow.com/features

10/20/2020 12:57 am  #3

it's normally not legal to look at the sailflow subscription-only wind sites during a race

RRS 41 needs a complete re-evaluation

10/20/2020 1:22 am  #4

I did investigate whether it would be possible to filter out just the free ones, but it doesn't seem to be possible.

10/20/2020 4:30 am  #5

Many of the races are starting to allow for this eg this from the 2021 Marion Bermuda Race on the US East coast:

NOR 1.5.2 RRS 41 (OUTSIDE HELP) will be changed to add “e) Help in the form of information freely available to all boats even if that information is only accessible at a cost. However, such “at a cost” help shall not include private forecast or tactical advice or information customized for a particular boat or group of boats and/or her/their situation.”

Not 'customized for a particular boat' being key in this case.  So read the NOR carefully and you might be OK.

Ernie

10/20/2020 5:16 am  #6

that's an example of a poorly worded SI... I see it often when they try to "clarify" or customize RRS 41 for a particular race.

I think the actual intention in that case is to make it clear that one can pay for acquisition of the freely available information - i.e. sat phone charges are ok.., i do not think they intend to permit the use of subscription-only data - but it's poorly worded

However.., some races have done that - they have made subscription data, that can be purchased by anyone who chooses to do so, legal by amending 41 in the SI's. Newport Bermuda did this a few races ago. so, for example ECMWF was legal in that race.

But Newport Bermuda went back to a policy of no subscription data.., and ECMWF was not going to be legal in the recently cancelled race - even if you could get it... nor were sailflow subscription wind observations going to be legal.

these sailflow wind observations could be hugely useful in our local coastal distance races - and there is almost _never_  an RRS 41 change in the SI's that permit them to be used.  But I know that many (most) boats are using them - not because they want to cheat.., but because they don't realize it's not legal.

on any given boat, half the crew have a subscription and they all want to help, so they are looking at their phones. All it takes is  someone on the rail saying "Norwalk Light has 12 out of the South"  Well.., that's a subscription site!

Should the boat retire?

they could turn themselves in  - most distance races have discretionary penalties for this kind of thing that can be short of DSQ...

But really - nobody is going to do anything...

Probably RRS 41 should be changed to permit subscription data available to all

the other thing that would be great would be if the RRS Appendix L (the SI guide) could contain a few options for changing 41 for the SI's - we need a _standardized_ set of options.., that are well worded and written under the advisement of someone who understands the different types of data out there. What we have now is individual organizing authorities customizing the SI's on their own.., and they are typically clueless about the data types.

I did a race recently where it was pretty clear that if a crew member read the New York Times on their phone they were breaking the SI's rule against subscription services...

Last edited by us7070 (10/20/2020 5:22 am)

10/20/2020 10:04 am  #7

with respect to the display of the sailflow observational data...

it seems that it is controlled by the 10m wind setting (i think like the other observational data). it might be nice if we could color it differently - so that it will stand out from whatever grib we have loaded

also - is there a toggle on-off for observational data? that would be nice too.

10/20/2020 12:51 pm  #8

I have a toggle in the next update. Still thinking about an elegant way to select colour or to use 10m wind colours.

10/22/2020 4:28 am  #9

I have a SF account. How do we setup Exp 4D to see Sailflow?

10/22/2020 12:32 pm  #10

Make sure you have the latest Expedition installed, then use the Sailflow button on the Weather data ribbon.

Board footera