Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2020 1:31 pm  #1

AIS target tracking for racing

What are the options to get AIS information from competitors into Expedition so I can see the tracks of competing boats either during or after a race?

My Expedition Software runs on a PC with hardwire ethernet to an H5000 and WiFi. My Z3 displays successfully show AIS information. My AIS, a B&G product NAIS-400, is connected via NMEA-2000. If I had to, I could make this AIS a backup and install a new AIS transponder as a primary. 

Options with existing, I imagine would involve a N2K to ethernet adapter?  What to look for?

Options for new AIS that is ethernet or wifi connected?  What to look for?

dan

9/14/2020 3:36 pm  #2

Re: AIS target tracking for racing

What is the Wifi connection? If it is broadcasting NMEA 0183 data, that may be an option.

Else, a nice solution is an Actisense NGT-1

9/14/2020 6:36 pm  #3

I have two potential sources installed already I don't use.
A B&G Zeus3 with Wifi connectivity for example to tablets.
A Simrad GoFree WIFI-1 Wireless Module 

9/15/2020 2:11 am  #4

I'm able to pull our AIS right from the H5000 connection. On our H5000 connection I just use the AIS option in the configuration dialogue for the H5000 websock.

9/15/2020 2:41 am  #5

You can't get AIS from H5000, so that might be from a Gofree connection.

If you can get NMEA data over the GoFree, that would be better for AIS than GoFree websocket data

9/15/2020 2:56 am  #6

OK - it could believe that the Zues3 is providing it I'm using the Zues3 for WiFi for my laptop while we plan the new Nav station setup. I'm getting AIS for sure as I can see it when view RAW. A few of the instruments are only coming in on the NMEA on that network so I have both a websock and NMEA connection to get all the instruments.

The plan is to replace currently non-usable fixed computer with something new and get it all hardwired and use remote desktop while above deck. But we are waiting until winter to make any changes.

9/15/2020 5:16 am  #7

Nick wrote:

What is the Wifi connection? If it is broadcasting NMEA 0183 data, that may be an option.

Else, a nice solution is an Actisense NGT-1

NGT-1 works very well.

it is not expensive, and is easy to install.

10/06/2020 4:32 pm  #8

I have my laptop running Exp connected to the serial port (with converter) to my H-3000.
I have AIS receiver showing data on my Garmin MFD. How can I get AIS to show up on my Laptop with EXP?
Thanks for any guidance.

10/06/2020 10:14 pm  #9

You can't get AIS data over H3000.

If you have a NMEA 2000 network with the Garmin, you an get AIS data to Expedition with an Actisense NGT-1 for example

6/18/2022 7:01 am  #10

Just switched from a Digital Yacht to Garmin AIS600. AIS showing up on the network and the chartplotter, but not seeing it on the PC. All the other boat data is coming through via the GND10 USB connection. Ideas?

Board footera