Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2020 9:57 am  #1

H5000 Ethernet to Switch to Wifi 1 and laptop?

I am presently getting H5000 websocket over wifi from the b&g wifi 1 device.

the H5000 ethernet out is connected to the wifi 1

i want to "split" the H5000 ethernet so that it can go both to the wifi 1 and to the laptop, so that i have a wired websocket connection to the H5000, but the wifi 1 is still operational for when the owner cruises the boat.

if i put the ethernet out of the H5000 to a network switch, and then have two ethernet cables out of the switch - one to the laptop and one to the wifi 1.., will that work?

is there another way?

Last edited by us7070 (8/24/2020 10:02 am)

8/24/2020 11:51 am  #2

Re: H5000 Ethernet to Switch to Wifi 1 and laptop?

I think it should.

8/24/2020 12:11 pm  #3

thanks

i didn't want to complicate the first question.., so now i have a follow-up...

the other issue i have is that i will actually have two ethermet sources that need to get to the laptop - the H5000 that i just mentioned, and a satellite internet...

i was thinking that i could add a router (no wifi)

this way, the H5000 would go to the switch, where it would be split - one side going to the WFI 1, and one side to the LAN port on a router, with the satellite internet going to the WAN port, and then the laptop connects to another LAN port on the router - it has both H5000 and internet over that network

i know that sounds stupidly complicated

can I just use a singe device - a router - and have Internet into the WAN port, and then H5000, WIFI 1, and Laptop all on LAN ports?

what i want to end up with is Satellite internet and H5000 coming to the laptop over the same ethernet cable.., yet also have the WIFI 1 working

8/25/2020 1:49 pm  #4

US, they way I've done - well, the great boat elctrician who gets paid to do it - is this.  H3000 makes it a bit more complictaed.  Ethernet switch between laptop and H3000.  Then wifi point (Ubiquiti) and internet switch separately off the ethernet switch, then satphone and 4G modem off the internet switch.  This means you can switch between satphone and  4G without risking your wifi.  I'll bet there are a 100 ways to do it.
PM me and I'll send you the diagram.

9/03/2020 1:26 am  #5

us7070 wrote:

thanks

i didn't want to complicate the first question.., so now i have a follow-up...

the other issue i have is that i will actually have two ethermet sources that need to get to the laptop - the H5000 that i just mentioned, and a satellite internet...

i was thinking that i could add a router (no wifi)

this way, the H5000 would go to the switch, where it would be split - one side going to the WFI 1, and one side to the LAN port on a router, with the satellite internet going to the WAN port, and then the laptop connects to another LAN port on the router - it has both H5000 and internet over that network

i know that sounds stupidly complicated

can I just use a singe device - a router - and have Internet into the WAN port, and then H5000, WIFI 1, and Laptop all on LAN ports?

what i want to end up with is Satellite internet and H5000 coming to the laptop over the same ethernet cable.., yet also have the WIFI 1 working

Can't really follow your description very well TBH, but I have had successful setups with all IP devices connected to a router/switch with a POE socket for a Ubiquity M2 WiFi Bullet set up non DHCP and Static IP.

Am a big fan of static IP to prevent every phone/watch/iPad in range getting attached to the network without a manual setup.

Turn on Satcoms and hey presto - internet available to all connected devices.

Any device on the network can access the websocket either for data or to access in a browser - so all Exp installs have access to websocket data and all browsers to the H5 webpage

I did however change to a USB-ethernet adapter for the Satcomms into laptop only to restrict internet access to the laptop only...

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

10/08/2020 1:25 am  #6

Campbell,
I am usually installing the RedPort Optimizer between SATCOM and network to prevent unauthorized use of the SATCOM. Expedition can be set to use the Optimizer's user and password - it's essentially a proxy.
Regards, Chriggel

Board footera