Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2020 7:08 am  #1

Convert DFW Log File

Can I convert an old DFW Log file to a viewable Exp file?

I have these in .log and .csv formats from DFW.

8/05/2020 7:17 am  #2

Re: Convert DFW Log File

Could work with the KND Log cleaner.

8/05/2020 1:08 pm  #3

If they are *.csv files produced from B&G DFW, they should be directly readable by Expedition already.  Maybe there is a column order or timestamp issue to be resolved, Nick can comment on that.
Once you have processed the file with KND Log Cleaner, Expedition cannot read it; again, maybe Nick can say why, I have always assumed it is a timestamp format issue.

8/05/2020 3:08 pm  #4

Expedition can't import Dfw log files. I don't have a sample and don't know what the format looks like.

I also don't know what KND does to the Expedition log files. Presumably they modify them in some way to make them easier for them to read.

8/05/2020 10:45 pm  #5

I've just had a look.  Essentially KND log cleans up the blank rows or extrapolates to your parameters.  What makes a KND-clean logfile unrecognizable to Expedition is that it changes the order of columns.  So in Expedition the first 3 columns Boat ID, Time, BSP, with Lat and Long about 23rd or 24th column.  In KND-cleaned logfiles, the order is Time, Lat, Long, Boat and so on.
So cleaning a DFW logfile in KND and then changing the column order might work.

8/05/2020 10:45 pm  #6

DfW log files are very different to Exp ones, not least the format of time, date and pos, and that they are user configurable.

You (probably - not tested) could use KND Log cleaner to output a log file that would look like an Exp file, but would probably still require some manual intervention.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera