Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2020 1:20 am  #1

Copy on UDP port

Hi,
is this possible to copy the data received by the software from the AIS, on an UDP port. To use these data in external applications ?
Thks,

4/15/2020 11:21 am  #2

Re: Copy on UDP port

Yes, There is an option in each instrument connection window in Exp to redirect the incoming data to a UDP port

4/26/2020 1:15 am  #3

I'm struggling to get this to work.   Maybe someone can help:

My AIS data comes in via a serial port (COM4).   It is perfectly displaying in Expedition.

Then I have 2 network ports configured in Expedition:
- Network 0:  this is configured as a UDP network, using port 5010 to communicate with my tablet running Ventus Pro.  The network is a Connectify network and Ventus works perfectly.   I also use this Connectify network to do a RDP session from my tablet (using Microsoft RDP on an Android tablet).
- Network 1:  this is the network that is connected (via ethernet) to my instruments.

Now I want to be able to use Navionics on the tablet and be able to see AIS targets.  So the question is how I can relay the AIS data that comes in via COM4 as a UDP stream on the Connectify network.
I have tried all different configuration settings in Expedition but cannot get it working.  

Any tips are appreciated!

6/15/2020 4:26 am  #4

open the serial port window (the instrument you want forwarded), and on the right side of the window, there is a 'broadcast' option. Here you can enable broadcasting on UDP, and specify the port. Thats all I believe.

6/15/2020 5:04 am  #5

Yes, it's indeed as simple as that.   However it didn't work for me.
So a few weeks back I did some further investigation with WireShark. It turned out that Expedition is working fine, but that Navionics simply doesn't work properly with UDP (although you can configure it for UDP).   I then installed OpenCPN and that immediately worked showing me all AIS targets (but unfortunately the OpenCPN Android APP is not something you really want to use....)

Next step now is to try using SignalK server to convert the UDP stream to TCP as Navionics is reported to work when using TCP.

6/15/2020 9:54 am  #6

you can maybe test this by installing a plugin in OpenCPN (cant remember the name) which converts the NMEA sentences, from UDP to TCP

Board footera