Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2020 4:45 am  #1

Wireless boat network

Hi guys,

We are getting a new h5000 system on the boat and I was wondering does anyone have an idea what the best way / best router to set up a wireless network is to connect the iPad on deck to the expedition downstairs. It’s a 41ft boat

Second question would it be able to do this on the b&g go free or is this just for nmea to iPad/iphone ?

Thanks.

1/20/2020 4:13 pm  #2

Re: Wireless boat network

Are you running other software on the iPad or do you want to see the Expedition screen on it?

1/20/2020 7:07 pm  #3

Nick, For now we will be running Remote Desktop with the expedition screen from the laptop. I used to turn the laptop into a hotspot and use that as WiFi network  but the connection wasn’t stable enough to work a 100%

1/21/2020 6:40 am  #4

The most common product on race boats these days is the Ubiquiti M2 bullet, fully configurable, robust, very powerful.  It is however not a 'consumer friendly' unit as it is designed for IT professional use so unless you are familiar with the basics of configuring wireless networks etc it might be worth avoiding.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/21/2020 10:05 am  #5

Thank you Campbell.

My knowledge of networks goes not far beyond basic routers at home networks. Do you have a suggestion for a more basic solution with maybe preferred router/ap?

1/21/2020 1:19 pm  #6

Have used Global Marine Network's "Optimizer" which is fairly straightforward to setup, also can repeat NMEA data when instruments network is plugged into the router via USB cable.  Has a number of other features as well, including connecting to a satphone and enabling connections via WiFi.

Board footera