Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2019 1:51 am  #11

Re: AIS MOB

I'm at the boat now and injected the AIS MOB sentences into the Expedition command line.   However,  the AIS MOB popup window does indeed not appear anymore.  I'm sure it did in the past for both senteces.
Anyone else who has tried this with a recent Exp version?

10/31/2019 6:37 am  #12

In all my tests I have only gotten a response if I direct connect to the NMEA WiFI server with a telnet client and inject the commands that way.  If I do that then the MFD will beep and display a MOB alert.  Exp doesn't show anything.  I found some other test sentences online and with those I get coord. displayed of the MOB on the MFD.  But nothing in EXP.  
The DY AIS hardware also has a way to inject a NMEA sentences and that doesn't do anything either.
But when I triggered a real MOB beacon with a test, I did get the popup in EXP but nothing on the MFD.  
And nothing showed in Navionics even though it was displaying other AIS targets.  Confusing.  

10/31/2019 8:35 pm  #13

Maybe send me a sample of the data you are sending ...

11/01/2019 10:12 am  #14

From POST # 1.

!AIVDM,1,1,,A,>>O5`4tlt:1@E=@,2*15
!AIVDM,1,1,,B,>>O5`4tlt:1@E=@,2*16

and I also tested with these.

!AIVDM,1,1,,A,1>O5liPv1<wqpsrM65m5KTL800S5,0*11
!AIVDM,1,1,,A,>>O5liPlt:1@E=@,2*60

11/01/2019 1:50 pm  #15

They all work ok here. Did you add \r\n control characters at the end of the NMEA stream?

The message #3 doesn't say the last message will follow, but that doesn't matter in the Exp implementation.

11/02/2019 5:41 am  #16

"Did you add \r\n control characters at the end of the NMEA stream?"

I am just cutting and pasting into the "Command Box" in the Network Instrument box and hitting send.  Not sure how I would add a \r\n to the stream.

​But I just ran into other weirdness.  On my desktop it chops off everything after the 25th character.
Won't let me type anything longer than that.  On my laptop I have no such restrictions and it lets me enter the complete sentence.  Doesn't seem to do anything but it does let me enter the full sentence.  I am connected to the instrument network via UDP in case that has anything to do with it.  Are there any filters I need to turn on/off ?

11/02/2019 8:03 pm  #17

Exp adds \r\n to the text sent with the send function on the instrument connection page. 

Although this is sent from Exp, Exp won't receive it ...

Last edited by Nick (11/02/2019 8:05 pm)

11/11/2019 2:51 am  #18

unplugged wrote:

​But I just ran into other weirdness.  On my desktop it chops off everything after the 25th character.
Won't let me type anything longer than that.  On my laptop I have no such restrictions and it lets me enter the complete sentence.  Doesn't seem to do anything but it does let me enter the full sentence.  I am connected to the instrument network via UDP in case that has anything to do with it.  Are there any filters I need to turn on/off ?

I have this same issue.  I run Expedition from a notebook (Thinkpad T440) and i'm only able to enter commands up to 25 characters in the command box of the Instruments window in Expedition.   If I copy-past one of the above mentioned AIS MOB sentences these are also truncated to 25 characters and the MOB alarm window does not appear in Expedion when I press "send".  So maybe the MOB is not triggered because of the 25 character truncation?

11/11/2019 12:49 pm  #19

The 25 character limit was related to the control used. Microsoft must have changed it at some point.

Fixed for the next update.

11/17/2019 10:45 pm  #20

I tested with 10.13.0.
The command line now indeed accepts the full sentece again (no 25 char limitation anymore).
However, when I paste the AIS MOB sentenses,  there is no MOB warning window popping up in Exp.   If I racall it correctly, this did happen in the past?

Board footera