Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2019 6:30 am  #1

Digital Yacht - Nomad AIS Receiver

Anybody have any experience using the DY AIS NOMAD.  It is a portable AIS Transponder.  Outputs only via WiFi I think, but I am attempting to verify that.  Would be nice to have the option of WiFi and NMEA.  But irrelevant to the question.  Was curious if anybody has used on with Expedition.

8/28/2019 10:09 am  #2

Re: Digital Yacht - Nomad AIS Receiver

I have not used it, but the ad sez in the FAQ:

=smallNomad has a USB interface (for power and data) that can connect to a PC or MAC.  Any AIS compatible navigation software can be used and the PC will create a virtual com port.  Digital Yacht offer free SmarterTrack Lite viewing software as well as premium SmarterTrack software for use with Navionics charts for detailed charting and navigation.  It’s also compatible with popular programs like MaxSea, Nobeltec, =smallExpedition, SeaPro and Open CPN.  Most modern programs accept a TCP/IP or UDP feed via the wireless link, but do double check before purchasing.
https://digitalyachtamerica.com/product/nomad/

Not cheap though!  Their contacts show email and phone contacts in both UK and US
Maybe someone will chime in who has tried on.
Cheers,
Ernie

8/28/2019 11:20 am  #3

The data will be NMEA 0183 over the virtual serial port and probably the same over the Wifi.

I have a Vesper AIS that does exactly the same thing.

8/28/2019 11:41 am  #4

Thank you both.

Board footera