Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2019 7:14 am  #1

Definition of DFS in Race Tracking

I am ashamed to acknowledge that after all this time using this stuff I still do not know what is quantified by the parameter "DFS" in Expedition Race Tracking.

Help! 

8/04/2019 7:50 am  #2

Re: Definition of DFS in Race Tracking

Joe,
Distance From Start with start being the first mark of the active route
i.e. Rambler 352 DFS  !!
Cheers,
Ernie

8/04/2019 10:25 am  #3

Hey Ernie,
Thanks. I thought that might have been it but sometimes I am unable confirm that. If that is your understanding then I will keep crunching until I understand how that works out.
Again, thanks.

8/04/2019 12:37 pm  #4

Joe,
I ran up some numbers on fastnet2019 this morning and they work ok. I wanted to make sure they were from the first mark of the route vs a set mark starting line or something.  I could slide the unlocked 1st mark around and effect the DFS number.

But I will say I have had problems before when working from the home pc tracking various Bermuda runs and getting DFS #'s of multiples of the actual DFS so make sure they pass the 'makes sense' test.
If you find some detail relating to those kinds of errors let me know.
Cheers,
Ernie

8/04/2019 4:49 pm  #5

It is the distance from the boat to the mark before the active mark and the distances between all marks before that.

8/04/2019 6:44 pm  #6

That’s huge Nick. I am locked on now.

Thanks.

8/05/2019 7:32 am  #7

Nick wrote:

It is the distance from the boat to the mark before the active mark and the distances between all marks before that.

So in order to compare Tracking numbers, all boats would have to be on the same leg. heading for the same active mark?

8/05/2019 1:44 pm  #8

Yes

Board footera