Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2019 3:39 pm  #1

Wind data from rotating mast

I am new to Expedition and have recently updated my instruments on the Corsair 31R with B&G (Vulcan displays, WS320 wireless wind, ZG100 GPS/Compass, RF25N rudder angle indicator and Airmar DX900+ 2D log).  Based on the B&G manuals and literature I was under the mistaken impression that the Vulcan displays could compute the rotating mast compensation for wind.  So my question is can Expedition directly compute the rotating mast compensation for wind by either using RF25N rotation angle or the mast bearing angle of the ZG100 for example.  If this does work, can the TWA/TWS be transmitted on NMEA 2000 to the Vulcan displays and what is the expected update rate.  If none of this is practical, does anyone have any experience integrating a rotating mast with the B&G H5000 CPU.  Any lessons learned would be appreciated.  

7/24/2019 5:33 pm  #2

Re: Wind data from rotating mast

You can have a mast rotation sensor connected to the H5000 network.

I haven't done it, but presume you can use this to correct the wind.

7/24/2019 10:44 pm  #3

Yes, there is a Mast Rotation variable in B&G H5000 (all three flavours), but looks as though it does require a sensor to work.  It may be possible to input a fixed value without a sensor, don't know.

7/25/2019 7:04 pm  #4

So am I to infer from the responses to my question that Expedition has no capability to correct wind direction data from a rotating mast?  If so, are there any other programs like Expedition that have this capability? 

7/25/2019 9:48 pm  #5

Do you have a H5000 CPU?

7/26/2019 5:11 am  #6

No I do not.  Based on discussions with a dealer I will need a H5000 CPU, a Zeus display to control it, an analog mast rotation sensor and a analog module to interface to the H5000.  This will double the cost of my electronics upgrade which includes two Vulcan displays, WS320 wireless wind instrument, 2D log meter, AIS transponder and ZG100 compass/GPS with little or no feedback on how well the mast rotation function works.  Frankly after being burned once by B&G claims, I am hesitant to doubling my bet.    

7/26/2019 1:42 pm  #7

It would be trivial to add it to Exp, but you would need a mast rotation measurement.

7/26/2019 2:27 pm  #8

I have a B&G RF25N rudder angle indicator connected to the mast and it is a NMEA 2000 device. An Actisense NMEA 2000 to USB interface could provide the interface between Expedition and the sensor. What needs to be done to Expedition to correct the wind sensor AWA and feed that back to Expedition and the NMEA 2000 displays?

7/26/2019 3:23 pm  #9

I would need to think of a way to pretend the rudder sensor data was mast rotation.

7/27/2019 8:12 pm  #10

Have added the ability to use a NMEA 2000 rudder sensor for mast rotation and to be able to correct AWA for mast rotation in the next release.

Board footera