Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2019 11:20 pm  #1

Keyspan serial port adapter v2

Hi folks,

I am using a Keyspan 4 serial ports to USB adapter with my PC and I keep losing the com ports when I open expedition. it seems totally random whether expedition can see them or not.

I have PuTTy on my computer and this is picking up data from the com ports without fail - have checked all of the baud rates etc and everything seems to be working, the com ports are transmitting data but expedition just doesn't always pick it up.

Any advice really appreciated

Thank

Pip

7/20/2019 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Keyspan serial port adapter v2

Does the connection page say open or closed in the Exp interface?

Is this when starting Exp or intermittently while using them. If Exp can't open them at start-up, that often suggests something else has them open.

If Exp is losing the connection during use, that could be an interruption, such as a bad connection. It could also be something like Windows going into a sleep mode.

7/20/2019 11:30 pm  #3

hi Nick

Does the connection page say open or closed in the Exp interface? - Where would it say this?

It's a bit of both on the connections - I was wondering if it was the key span but there always seems to be a constant stream of data coming through when we look at it through PuTTy. I have a spare I can try...

just wondered if there was a known conflict

7/20/2019 11:37 pm  #4

On the instruments window page you select the connection, near the top left.

If you have the port open in another app such as PuTTy, Exp won't be able to open the port.

7/22/2019 10:56 am  #5

I often have a problem with expedition indicating closed ports

Ventus seems especially prone to having the port get closed.., but i get it with other network connections too.

I have just downloaded a free program called TCP View.., that is supposed to make it easy to monitor port usage, to easily end the process occupying a port, or to just close the port

the description"
"TCPView is a Windows program that will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections. On Windows Server 2008, Vista, and XP, TCPView also reports the name of the process that owns the endpoint. TCPView provides a more informative and conveniently presented subset of the Netstat program that ships with Windows. The TCPView download includes Tcpvcon, a command-line version with the same functionality."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

Last edited by us7070 (7/22/2019 10:57 am)

7/22/2019 1:37 pm  #6

This is a serial port ...

Board footera